New York: UN Secretary-General António Guterres has urged an immediate de-escalation of hostilities between Israel and Iran, calling for a ceasefire amid growing fears of regional instability.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, Guterres expressed grave concern over the escalating military conflict. “I remain profoundly alarmed by the ongoing military escalation in the Middle East between Israel and Iran. I reiterate my call for immediate de-escalation leading to a ceasefire,” he said.
Quoting the Xinhua news agency, the statement highlighted concerns about the potential for the conflict to expand beyond the two nations. “I strongly appeal to all to avoid any further internationalisation of the conflict. Any additional military interventions could have enormous consequences, not only for those involved but for the whole region and for international peace and security at large,” Guterres warned.
He condemned the recent airstrikes for causing civilian casualties and damaging critical infrastructure. The Secretary-General stressed that diplomacy remains the only viable solution to address concerns surrounding Iran's nuclear programme and broader regional security issues.
“The UN Charter remains our shared framework to save people from the scourge of war. I urge all member states to comply fully with the Charter and international law, including international humanitarian law,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Israeli military has intensified its operations. Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson Effie Defrin confirmed that Israeli jets carried out further airstrikes in western Iran on Wednesday evening, targeting missile launch and storage facilities.
According to Defrin, the latest wave of strikes aimed at operatives attempting to retrieve munitions from previously bombed locations, marking the third major Israeli assault within 24 hours. Earlier overnight attacks involved over 50 fighter jets striking nearly 40 sites near Tehran, including a centrifuge production facility used for uranium enrichment and an anti-tank missile production site linked to Hezbollah.
A second wave of airstrikes on Wednesday afternoon targeted over 20 additional locations in and around the Iranian capital.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
