Sydney: Major technology companies have blocked around 47 lakh accounts following Australia’s landmark ban on social media use by children under the age of 16, the country’s online safety regulator said on Friday.
Australia’s eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said early data indicated that platforms were taking concrete steps to remove underage users since the law came into force on December 10 last year. She said regulatory guidance and engagement with companies had begun to show results, though a full assessment of compliance would take time.
Under the legislation, large platforms including Meta, TikTok and YouTube are required to prevent under-16s from holding accounts. Companies that fail to take what the law describes as reasonable steps to comply face penalties of up to Aus$ 49.5 million.
ALSO READ: Florida man rushes into traffic to rescue toddlers who wandered onto busy road
Reuters reported that Meta disclosed last week that it had removed hundreds of thousands of accounts across its services, including Instagram, Facebook and Threads, in the days following the introduction of the rules. The company, however, reiterated its position that app stores should be mandated to verify users’ ages and obtain parental consent before minors are allowed to download social media apps, arguing that this would prevent teenagers from shifting between platforms to evade restrictions.
The eSafety Commissioner acknowledged that accurate age verification remains complex but said platforms are expected to strengthen their systems and prevent circumvention. She noted that while it is too early to conclude whether companies are fully compliant, the initial response suggests progress in reducing potential harm and reshaping online norms.
Ahead of the ban’s implementation, downloads of smaller platforms such as BlueSky and Lemon8 increased, though both services have since acknowledged that they fall under the legislation and are cooperating with regulators. Inman Grant said the fast-changing digital landscape makes it impractical to name every service covered by the law, adding that enforcement efforts would focus on platforms with the largest Australian user bases.
She said some children may still find ways to remain online, but stressed that the measure’s success should be judged by its impact on safety and behaviour rather than complete elimination of underage use.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): A 65-year-old retired ISRO employee allegedly strangled his wife to death with a towel at their residence on Wednesday, police said.
The incident was reported at around 11 am within the Avalahalli police station limits.
The accused, Nageshwar Rao, has been taken into police custody, authorities added.
ALSO READ: Rs 640 crore cyber fraud: SC refuses anticipatory bail to CA in ED case
Citing the preliminary investigation, a senior police officer said Rao was reportedly undergoing treatment for depression.
Rao allegedly wanted to end his life after killing his wife, police added.
After the alleged attack on his wife, Sandya Sri, Rao reportedly remained at the spot. He then contacted an acquaintance, who alerted the police.
A police team arrived at the residence and took Rao into custody.
"He was reportedly undergoing treatment for depression and was distressed. He allegedly intended to take his life after the incident, which is why he attacked his wife. There appear to be no other major reasons," said Saidulu Adavath, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Whitefield).
The couple’s daughter, who is in the US, has been informed about the incident, police said.
A case of murder has been registered, and further investigation is underway.
