United Nations/Tehran: Iran has formally appealed to the United Nations to condemn what it described as “reckless and unlawful threats” made by United States President Donald Trump, as protests over rising prices and economic distress continue across the country.
According to an Al Jazeera report, a letter was sent on Friday to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and the president of the UN Security Council by Iran’s ambassador to the UN Amir Saeed Iravani, accusing Washington of violating the UN Charter and international law. He called on the UN leadership and Security Council members to “unequivocally and firmly condemn” remarks by Trump that Tehran views as provocative and dangerous.
The letter was dispatched hours after Trump said the United States was “locked and loaded and ready to go” if further protesters were killed during the unrest in Iran. In a post on Truth Social, Trump warned that if Iran “violently kills peaceful protesters,” the US would “come to their rescue.”
Iravani said any attempt to incite or legitimise internal unrest as a justification for external pressure or military intervention constituted a serious breach of Iran’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. Holding the United States fully responsible for any consequences arising from what he termed illegal threats, he added that Iran would exercise its right to defend itself “in a decisive and proportionate manner."
Iran’s state news agency IRNA reported that demonstrations continued on Friday in several parts of Qom, Mashhad, Hamedan, Marvdasht, Yasuj and Tehran. The protests began after shopkeepers in the capital went on strike earlier this week over soaring prices and economic stagnation.
Authorities said at least nine people have been killed and 44 arrested since the unrest began. The deputy governor of Qom province said one person died after a grenade exploded in his hand, describing it as an attempt to inflame tensions.
Responding to Trump’s comments, Ali Larijani, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, warned that US interference would lead to regional instability and damage American interests.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru: The Holy month of Ramadan will start from Thursday, February 19, announced convener of the State Moon Sighting Committee Maulana Maqsood Imran Rashadi on Wednesday.
Speaking at a press conference after the Moon Sighting Committee meeting held at the State Waqf Board office on Cunningham Road in the city on Wednesday evening, he said that there is no information about moon sighting anywhere in the capital Bengaluru, including other districts.
“However, after receiving reports of moon sightings in neighbouring states including Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Rajasthan and Delhi, it has been decided to start fasting from Thursday,” he said.
The meeting was attended by Maulana Mufti Iftikhar Ahmed Qasmi, Maulana Ejaz Ahmed Nadvi and other members of the ulema.
