Washington: The White House clarified on Monday that no US government employees have been laid off “right now.” Stepping back from President Donald Trump’s earlier remarks suggesting that job losses were already underway due to the ongoing federal shutdown, officials, however, cautioned that layoffs could occur if Congress fails to restore government funding soon.

In its sixth day, the partial shutdown has halted operations across multiple agencies, while no permanent dismissals have been reported.

President Trump had stated on Sunday night that workers were being laid off “right now.” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt clarified on Monday that the president was referring to federal employees who have been furloughed since funding expired on October 1, and claimed that the Office of Management and Budget was working with agencies to determine which employees would risk layoffs if the shutdown continued.

Labor unions representing federal workers have filed lawsuits to block any such dismissals. They argued that such actions would violate existing labor laws, which carry criminal penalties.

The Republican proposal seeks to extend funding through November 21, while the Democratic proposal includes an extension of healthcare subsidies set to expire at the end of the year. Trump has indicated openness to a deal on healthcare subsidies, which would assist about 24 million Americans in purchasing insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

Democratic Senator Patty Murray, on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said on social media, “We need a deal that reopens the government and stops premiums from doubling.” Speaker Mike Johnson said he had no plans to reconvene the chamber until a funding agreement was reached, while the House of Representatives was not in session.

The impasse has frozen an estimated $1.7 trillion in discretionary spending, which is one-quarter of the federal budget. The remainder of U.S. government expenditure goes toward entitlement programs and interest on the national debt, which currently stands at $37.88 trillion.

The administration has also placed a hold on at least $28 billion in infrastructure funding earmarked for New York, California, and Illinois, all states led by Democrats. Democratic leaders have refused to yield to the White House’s stance.

Essential personnel, including border security and airport staff, have continued working without pay, while non-critical government functions have largely come to a halt. The Federal Register, which typically publishes over 100 notices and proposed regulations daily, listed only four entries on Monday.

The impact may deepen next week when 1.3 million military personnel and associated workers are expected to miss their first paychecks. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy also warned that rising sick calls among air traffic controllers could result in flight delays.

Senate Democrats have voted down the Republican funding bill four times, and GOP leaders need at least eight Democratic votes to advance their measure, while only two Democrats and one independent have crossed party lines so far.

Several Democrats are pressing for a healthcare subsidy deal before open enrollment begins on November 1, while Speaker Johnson suggested that negotiations could take time.
“We’ve got probably 100 ideas for reforms on the table, but I can’t snap my fingers this afternoon and make that happen,” Johnson said in an interview with the Hugh Hewitt Show.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.

Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.

According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.


“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.

Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.

Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.

The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.

After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.