Geneva/Washington: The World Health Organization (WHO) has expressed regret over the United States' decision to withdraw from the global health body, following an executive order signed by U.S. President Donald Trump on his first day in office.
The executive order, one of several signed upon Trump's return to the White House, formally initiated the process of pulling the U.S. out of the WHO. The order cited "unfairly onerous payments" made by the U.S. to the organization, as well as the WHO’s alleged mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic and other global health crises. It also pointed to concerns over the agency’s failure to implement reforms and its perceived susceptibility to political influence from certain member states.
In response, the WHO released a statement underscoring its role in global health, highlighting its efforts in combating diseases, strengthening health systems, and addressing health emergencies. The organization emphasized the U.S.'s long-standing involvement, noting that it has been a founding member since 1948 and actively participated in its governance.
"For over seven decades, WHO and the USA have saved countless lives and protected Americans and all people from health threats," the statement read. "Together, we ended smallpox, and together we have brought polio to the brink of eradication."
The WHO acknowledged that reforms to improve its accountability and effectiveness are already underway, reaffirming its commitment to strengthening global health governance.
Despite the U.S. decision, the organization expressed hope that the move would be reconsidered and emphasized its willingness to maintain a productive partnership with the country.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Etah (UP) (PTI): A 53-year-old inmate lodged in the Etah district jail died on Saturday while undergoing treatment for chest pain, a jail official said.
According to the Jail Superintendent, Ankeshita Srivastava, Jitendra alias Bhura, a resident of Bijauri village in Kotwali Dehat area of the district, complained of severe left chest pain and high blood pressure on Saturday morning.
When his condition worsened, at around 10.35 am, he was admitted to Etah's Veerangana Avantibai Lodhi Autonomous State Medical College (VALASMC), where he was declared dead at around 10.45 am, she said.
The deceased inmate was lodged in the district jail on April 7, last year, and was serving a life sentence in a case of murder. In addition, two other cases were pending against him, the Jail Superintendent said.
His family has been informed about the incident, she added.
Police have sent the body for a post-mortem, and an investigation is underway, the officer said.
Further action will be taken upon the receipt of the report, she added.
