Thiruvananthapuram (PTI): As many as 32 cases have been registered across Kerala against people who allegedly defamed the woman whose complaint led to suspended Congress MLA Rahul Mamkoottathil being booked for sexual assault, police said on Thursday.

According to police, the Cyber Operations Wing is monitoring online platforms where defamatory or content against the complainant is being circulated.

Police said they began registering cases from Monday against those found to have shared the woman's photograph.

Many individuals who had earlier shared the picture of the complainant have since deleted it, an officer with the Cyber Operations Wing said.

The Wing is also monitoring those who share content revealing the woman's identity, the officer added.

ALSO READ: Woman Cong leader accuses Mamkootathil of misconduct, criticises party for ignoring complaints

Currently, bailable offences under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Information Technology Act have been invoked.

A majority of these cases have been registered at cyber police stations in each district.

Police said notices are being issued to the accused, and arrests will be recorded based on evidence that emerges during the probe.

Based on the woman’s complaint, police first registered a case against activist Rahul Easwar and four others.

Easwar was arrested, and a court in Thiruvananthapuram later dismissed his bail plea.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.