Bijapur (PTI): Seven Naxalites and two personnel of the District Reserve Guard (DRG), a specialized unit of the state police, were killed in an encounter in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Wednesday, officials said.
Another DRG jawan suffered injuries in the gunfight, they said, adding the anti-Naxal operation was still underway in the district.
The gun battle broke out in a forest along the border of Bijapur-Dantewada districts when a joint team of security personnel was out on an anti-Naxal operation, Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) Sundarraj Pattilingam said.
Personnel belonging to the DRG from Dantewada and Bijapur, and Special Task Force, both units of the state police, and CoBRA (Commando Battalion for Resolute Action- an elite unit of CRPF) are involved in the operation, he said.
So far, bodies of seven Naxalites have been recovered from the encounter spot, but their identities were yet to be established, the senior IPS officer stated.
Besides, Single Loading Rifles (SLRs), .303 rifles and other arms and ammunition were recovered from the site, he said.
"Head Constable Monu Vadadi and Constable Dukaru Gonde, belonging to the DRG Bijapur, were martyred in the encounter, while another DRG jawan Somdev Yadav sustained injuries," Pattilingam said.
The injured jawan was immediately provided first aid and is stated to be out of danger, said the IGP, adding appropriate arrangements were made for his further medical treatment.
Reinforcement teams were dispatched to the encounter site which falls in the west Bastar division and a search operation was still underway in the area, Bijapur Superintendent of Police Jitendra Yadav said.
With the latest action by security forces, 270 Naxalites have been killed in encounters in Chhattisgarh so far this year.
Of them, 241 were eliminated in the Bastar division, comprising seven districts, including Bijapur and Dantewada, while 27 others were gunned down in Gariaband district, which falls in the Raipur division. Two Naxalites were killed in Mohla-Manpur-Ambagarh Chowki district in Durg division.
The Centre has set a deadline of March 31, 2026, to completely eradicate Left-wing extremism.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
