New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to Rajesh and Nupur Talwar on a plea challenging their acquittal in the Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case by the Allahabad High Court.
The plea was filed by Khumkala Banjade, the widow of Hemraj, who was the Talwars' domestic help.
While issuing notice to Talwars, the bench of Justice Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R. Banumathi also granted leave in the matter which puts the appeal in the queue of the cases and may take long before it is actually heard by the court.
The court also granted leave in the appeal filed by the Central Bureau of Investigation as its counsel told the bench that the investigating agency too has moved the court against Allahabad High Court verdict and its petition was pending.
On October 12 last year, a High Court bench of Justice B.K. Narayana and Justice A.K. Mishra acquitted the couple by giving them the benefit of doubt.
Aarushi, 14, and Hemraj were found murdered at the Talwars' Jalvayu Vihar home in Noida on May 16, 2008.
The High Court's order came on an appeal by the Talwars against a Ghaziabad CBI court's November 26, 2013 order sentencing them to life imprisonment, bringing an end to the couple's nine-year ordeal.
After Aarushi was found murdered in her bedroom, Hemraj was initially considered a suspect. However, his body too was found in a pool of blood a day later on the terrace of the house.
The High Court, while acquitting the Talwars, had made comments on the CBI trial court judge, saying he had adopted a "partial and parochial approach" in his 2013 judgment to convict the parents for the double murder.
It said the trial court's judgment was based on "creation of fanciful reasoning" and "presuming facts with indomitable obstinacy and taking things for granted, and thus basing the conclusion on unfounded evidence".
The Uttar Pradesh Police had accused Rajesh Talwar on May 23, 2008 of killing his daughter in a fit of rage.
On May 31, 2008, the CBI took over the case and initially absolved the parents but later held them responsible for the two murders.
On June 13, 2008, the CBI arrested Rajesh Talwar's compounder Krishna. Ten days later, Raj Kumar, a servant of a doctor friend of the Talwars, and Vijay Mandal, the domestic help of the Talwars' neighbour, were also arrested. The three were later freed after no evidence was found against them.
The CBI had filed a closure report in the case in December 2010 but the special CBI court had rejected it.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chandigarh (PTI): Some schools in Punjab's Mohali received bomb threat emails on Tuesday, which also mentioned Fortis Hospital, prompting police to launch search operation, officials said.
"The bomb threat to schools also mentioned the Fortis Hospital in Mohali, where we conducted anti-sabotage checks. Non-essential services were kept on hold while essential services continued," a senior police official said in Mohali.
He said the police were conducting checks in the schools.
Security had already been strengthened in and around Fortis hospital in Mohali after Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann was admitted there. Chief Minister Mann was re-admitted in the hospital on Monday evening, hours after he was discharged from the health facility. Mann was admitted again after he experienced exhaustion, said sources.
On Wednesday, sixteen private schools in Mohali had received bomb threat emails, triggering evacuation and prompting detailed anti-sabotage checks by police.
However, after detailed inspection, no suspicious or explosive material was found at any of the locations.
The latest scare comes close on the heels of similar threats in Chandigarh, Amritsar, Jalandhar, Patiala and Haryana schools. All threats turned out to be hoaxes.
