Ahmedabad (PTI): Days after Ahmedabad was awarded hosting rights of the 2030 Commonwealth Games, the civic body on Saturday carried out an anti-encroachment drive during which residential and commercial structures were demolished to enhance road connectivity near the under-construction Sardar Patel Sports Enclave, officials said.
Heavy machines were involved in the operation carried out by the estate department of the western zone of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) amid tight police security in Motera area here to raze 30 commercial and residential structures.
With the area freed, the authorities will be able to construct a road close to the Narendra Modi Stadium that will enhance connectivity to the Sardar Patel Sports Enclave, which is an under-construction multi-venue sporting enclave for the 2030 Commonwealth Games, said Mahesh Tabiyar, Deputy TDO, West Zone, AMC.
"Around a year back, the owners of the structures were served notice to vacate them after they became a part of a road project. The owners had challenged the notice in the Gujarat High Court, which rejected their application, paving the way for the authorities to implement the demolition drive," he said.
Around 250 structures were demolished in the last six months for the proposed road, and 30 structures were remaining due to litigation, Tabiyar added.
Ahmedabad was formally awarded hosting rights of the 2030 Commonwealth Games on Wednesday, paving the way for the multi-sport event's return to India after two decades and giving impetus to the country's audacious plan of becoming an Olympic host in 2036.
India last hosted the CWG in 2010 in Delhi.
VIDEO | Ahmedabad: Civic body begins demolition of 29 houses in Motera to open a road near Narendra Modi Stadium.#AhmedabadNews #Ahmedabad
— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) November 29, 2025
(Full video available on PTI Videos - https://t.co/n147TvrpG7) pic.twitter.com/YUZHbaG8mG
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Voter base in nine states and Union territories has shrunk by more than 1.70 crore following the publication of final electoral rolls as part of the ongoing Special Intensive Revision (SIR), according to official data.
The data shared by the chief electoral officers of Gujarat, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Goa and Kerala on Saturday showed that their combined voter base stood at over 21.45 crore before the SIR exercise began on October 27 last year.
It shrunk to 19.75 crore after publication of their final electoral rolls this week, a net change of over 1.70 crore electors.
While the exercise, which kept the Election Commission in the spotlight, has been completed in Bihar, it is currently underway in 12 states and Union territories covering nearly 60 crore electors.
The remaining 40 crore electors will be covered in 17 states and five Union territories.
In Assam, a "special revision", instead of SIR, was completed on February 10.
Due to a variety of reasons, the SIR in the nine states and three Union territories have seen frequent tweaking in schedules.
As in Bihar, political parties have approached the Supreme Court challenging the exercise in Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
