New Delhi: An Air India Express pilot accused of assaulting a passenger at Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport was arrested and later released on bail, as the offence is bailable, Delhi Police said on Tuesday.

The accused pilot has been identified as Captain Virender Sejwal. He was booked in connection with an alleged assault on passenger Ankit Dewan at Terminal 1 of IGI Airport, reported by NDTV.

According to police, a case was registered following a complaint, after which CCTV footage was examined and statements were recorded. The pilot was called for questioning and joined the investigation on Monday.

"Captain Virender Sejwal has joined the investigation. If the IO (Investigating Officer) is not satisfied with his reply, he can be arrested in the assault case. Investigation is being carried out in the matter based on merits and available evidence," NDTV quoted Delhi Police as saying.

Earlier, Ankit Dewan alleged that the incident took place during the security check process while he was travelling with his wife and their four-month-old baby. Speaking to ANI, Dewan said CISF personnel had directed them to a specific security screening area.

As per the report, he claimed that the screening lane used older machines and was already crowded, including airline staff and passengers carrying large musical instruments. Dewan said he asked his wife to take their baby through the ladies’ queue while he managed the luggage, which included multiple bags, trays and a stroller.

Dewan also raised questions to the airport operator DIAL, the aviation regulator DGCA, and the airlines, seeking clarity on the incident involving the off-duty Air India Express pilot.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bagalkote (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension prevailed briefly during a Shivaji Jayanti procession here after stones were allegedly hurled at the rally, officials said on Friday.

The incident occurred on Thursday in the old city when the procession, which began around 3:30 pm, was passing through the mosque area, they said.

Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal said adequate forces were deployed for the procession.

ALSO READ:  Netherlands PM Dick Schoof visits Bengaluru

"We were all present at the spot. The procession began around 3:30 PM (yesterday), As it approached the mosque, two stones were thrown from a distance toward us,” he said.

According to the SP, based on preliminary information and videos reviewed by the police so far, one stone struck a police constable while the other fell on his shoulder.

“No one sustained any major injuries. After that, the procession continued smoothly, and the atmosphere remained peaceful,” Goyal said.

Police said adequate security arrangements have been made in view of the procession and the situation remained under control.

"The area where the incident occurred has been covered with CCTV cameras. We had also recorded the procession. We are reviewing the video footages. Strict action will be taken against those involved in this," he added.

Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita have been imposed in parts of Bagalkote from midnight of February 19 to midnight of February 24.

According to officials, under the restrictions, assembly of more than four people in public places has been prohibited. Carrying dangerous weapons, engaging in activities that may endanger public safety, and organising meetings, ceremonies or sit-ins without prior permission have also been barred.

Measures were taken to maintain law and order in the affected areas.