Jammu (PTI): Highlighting the efforts to revive tourism following the Pahalgam terror attack in April 2025, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah announced on Thursday that all currently closed tourist destinations are expected to reopen by May.

He also revealed that the government is working on plans to introduce nine new tourist destinations to further strengthen and diversify the tourism industry in the Union Territory.

Winding up the discussion on Demands for Grants in the legislative Assembly here, Abdullah said his government worked "step by step" to revive tourism in the aftermath of the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack, at a time when many in the industry believed visitors would not return to the Union Territory for years.

He said the administration engaged extensively with tourism stakeholders, rebuilt confidence through sustained outreach, and gradually restored activity despite several destinations remaining closed and restrictions in place at key locations.

The chief minister mentioned that improving tourist infrastructure is a key priority, as visitors often point out that while Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg are exceptionally beautiful, they lack adequate basic facilities such as toilets and other conveniences. "The government is committed to addressing these gaps," Abdullah said.

The chief minister emphasised that attracting first-time visitors to J-K is not difficult, but true success lies in ensuring they return. "Repeat tourism is the real benchmark of a strong and sustainable tourism industry, and that is where the government is now placing its focus."

Highlighting the turnaround, Abdullah noted that hotels in famous winter destinations like Gulmarg and Sonamarg are now operating at full capacity, while Srinagar is witnessing significant tourist footfall, asserting that these indicators reflect the steady revival of the sector.

"Tourism is a very important sector for Jammu and Kashmir. The reality is that when we were discussing the budget and grants last year, we had no idea that we would face such difficult circumstances (the Pahalgam attack that left 26 persons, mostly tourists, dead).

"We revived tourism at a time when we were forced to tell people that 'you can come to Kashmir, but you cannot visit Doodhpathri or Yousmarg'. We even had to tell tourists that 'you may go up by the gondola (cable-car), but you cannot move beyond the roadside eateries on the right side'. Despite all this, we gradually brought tourism back to life," the chief minister said.

He stated that while the Centre has ordered the reopening of many tourist destinations, some sites remain closed.

"There are certain things I cannot state openly, but I can assure you that discussions have taken place with the Central government. They also have certain constraints. However, you can assume that by May, all these destinations will reopen," the chief minister said.

Simultaneously, he mentioned that his government is exploring the potential of new destinations. "I had mentioned in this House last year that under multilateral funding, we wanted to open nine new destinations in J-K. The reality is that we had almost reached the stage of signing the multilateral funding agreement, but an obstacle arose which we could not overcome.

"Now, in consultation with the Centre, under a Centrally funded scheme, we will open nine new destinations. Their names will be released gradually. I assure you that people of Jammu will have no reason for complaint -- Jammu will get its fair share," he said.

In Jammu, he noted that some projects are nearing completion, including Jammu Lake and the Jammu Riverfront.

"Even the Riverfront project has certain limits -- it has not been extended to its full length. After discussing with the department, we intend to extend the Riverfront to its complete end under SASCI or some other scheme, so that just as Ahmedabad developed the Sabarmati Riverfront beautifully, we too can enhance the pride and beauty of Jammu and take it forward," Abdullah said.

He asserted that the government cannot bring every beautiful area onto the tourism map. "No matter how much promotion we do, tourists ultimately go where they choose. I cannot force a tourist to visit a particular place."

However, he said the government is making full efforts to develop at least one small or large tourist destination in every area -- promote it, market it, build infrastructure there, and attract tourists.

"How successful it will be depends on many factors, but from our side, we will make every effort to ensure that the tourism network expands into remote areas, especially in Jammu, where we have a ready market, as more than one crore pilgrims visit the Mata Vaishno Devi shrine. If we can divert even 10 per cent of them, that is 10 lakh tourists, it can transform the entire economy of Jammu," he said.

He said the effort of his government is to retain these visitors here for at least six or seven days -- through border tourism, pilgrimage tourism, golf tourism, or by taking them to places like Bhaderwah and other regions.

Kashmir is not a summer-specific tourist destination, the chief minister said, adding that the tourism season in the valley has expanded over the years.

"If you look at the winter season, places like Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg now witness fairly good tourist activity. In Srinagar and its surrounding areas, the Tulip Garden preponed the tourism arrivals," he said.

However, Abdullah said it was true that in October and November, the tourist footfall used to be lower. "To address that, we developed a new garden, Bagh-e-Gul-e-Dawood (Chrysanthemum Garden), which proved to be very successful. Our effort will be to further develop it this year."

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru (PTI): BJP leaders on Thursday launched a sharp attack on the Congress government in Karnataka and exuded confidence that the party would return to power in the 2028 Assembly elections.

The opposition party in Karnataka also passed four resolutions at its state executive committee meeting at the Palace Grounds here. It includes rampant corruption in the state, misuse of government funds, growing drug menace, agrarian problem and the garbage crisis in Bengaluru.

The party also hailed the Centre for introducing Viksit Bharat – Guarantee for Rozgar and Ajivika Mission (Gramin) (VB-G RAM G) replacing the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).

The executive committee welcomed the Centre's decision to give respect to 'Vande Mataram' song.

Addressing the meeting, BJP state president B Y Vijayendra alleged there was "zero development" in the state and claimed discontent within the ruling party.

"Let us work day and night to restore the BJP’s past glory in Karnataka," Vijayendra said, adding, "A situation has arisen where even MLAs of the ruling party may revolt against the government."

He alleged that law and order had completely deteriorated under Chief Minister Siddaramaiah-led Congress government in the state and referred to murders in Surathkal and Yellapur, claiming no compensation had been provided to the families of a Dalit woman in Yellapur and a Dalit man in Koppal.

He further alleged that Mysuru had become a narcotics hub and recalled the rape and murder of a 10-year-old girl during Dasara in the Chief Minister’s home district.

Vijayendra urged party workers to gear up for a series of upcoming elections, including local body polls, GBA elections and Assembly bypolls, and called for grassroots mobilisation to highlight the failures of the Congress government.

Inaugurating the meeting, Union Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat said, "This is not merely an organisational meeting but a meeting for introspection."

He described it as a gathering to strengthen the organisation and resolve to remove the corrupt government from power.

Expressing confidence about the party’s prospects, he said the BJP would form the government in Karnataka in 2028 with an overwhelming majority.

He criticised the Congress for the Emergency and alleged that the state had become "corrupt and financially bankrupt", referring to scandals, including MUDA. He also claimed there had been infighting over the Chief Minister’s post from the beginning and that public debt had risen sharply.

BJP National General Secretary and Karnataka in-charge Radha Mohan Das Agarwal said the party's victory in the 2028 Assembly elections was certain and objected to alleged attempts to curb RSS activities in the state.

He accused the government of favouring minorities over Scheduled Castes and termed it a "corrupt government".

Former Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa, who was felicitated for completing 50 years in active politics, called upon party workers to resolve to bring the BJP back to power "on our own strength" and to "uproot the corrupt Congress government".

Former Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda said it was Yediyurappa who had brought the BJP to power in Karnataka for the first time in South India and praised his role in strengthening the party.

Several senior leaders, including Union Ministers Pralhad Joshi, Shobha Karandlaje and V Somanna, and other state leaders were present at the meeting.