Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD in Odisha today rejected Union Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari's proposal to settle the Mahanadi river water dispute with Chhattisgarh through dialogue.
BJD spokesperson Prashant Nanda said that discussions on the matter would make sense only after the Chhattisgarh government halts construction work on the river.
"There is no point in discussing the issue with Chhattisgarh as the central government has not asked the neighbouring state to stop construction work along the upstream of the river Mahanadi," Nanda told reporters.
The BJD's reaction came minutes after Gadkari, while replying to a series of questions on the Mahanadi river issue in the Lok Sabha, requested the Odisha government to settle the dispute with Chhattisgarh through negotiations.
The Union minister also justified the central government's move to decline the BJD government's proposal to form a tribunal in the case and said records show it only delayed solution.
Nanda said it was a ploy of the BJP-led central government to help Chhattisgarh in carrying out 'illegal' construction work.
"The state government, in view of the interests of Odisha people, cannot go to the negotiation table unless Chhattisgarh stops construction work. Gadkari's request is just a part of a conspiracy hatched against Odisha," he asserted.
Uma Bharati, during her tenure as the water resources minister, had also categorically said that the Centre cannot ask Chhattisgarh to stop project work on Mahanadi, the BJD's Parliamentary Party leader Bharuhari Mahatab said in the Lok Sabha.
The Odisha unit of the BJP, however, welcomed Gadkari's proposal and accused the state's BJD government of politicising the issue.
"As a tribunal takes 20 to 30 years to resolve water disputes between states, it is better to solve the matter through discussion," BJP state vice-president Samir Mohanty said.
The opposition Congress, on its part, blamed both the BJD and the BJP for the dispute.
"The state government had initially allowed the Chhattisgarh government to initiate construction work on the Mahanadi. Now, they are opposing it...The BJP is also politicising the matter as the party is in power in Chhattisgarh," senior Congress leader Sarat Rout said.
Samajwadi Party's state unit president Rabi Behera today wrote to Gadkari, stressing on the need to create a congenial atmosphere for the discussions to happen.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): The Maharashtra government has ordered that all files will now go through Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde before being presented to CM Devendra Fadnavis for approval.
The moves seeks to revive an arrangement which existed in 2023 of files being vetted by the then two deputy CMs --Ajit Pawar and Fadnavis -- before being forwarded to then CM Shinde.
State Chief Secretary Sujata Saunik issued an order to this effect on March 18. "Since July 26, 2023, files were moved from Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who holds the finance department, to (then) Deputy CM Fadnavis, who held the home, law and judiciary departments before being sent to (then) CM Shinde for approval," as per the order.
This arrangement was made after Pawar, who was then leader of opposition in the state assembly, joined the Shinde-led government along with a several NCP MLAs on July 2, 2023.
Now, with Fadnavis taking charge as chief minister, following the victory of the Mahayuti (comprising BJP, Shinde's Shiv Sena and Pawar-led NCP) in the state polls last year, the arrangement has been changed.
All files will be routed from Deputy CM Ajit Pawar, who continues to hold the finance department, to Eknath Shinde, who is also the deputy CM and holds housing and urban development portfolios.
The files will be sent to Fadnavis after Shinde's approval, as per the latest order.
Since the Mahayuti 2.0 took over, there has been speculation of a "cold war" between Shinde and Fadnavis. Both the leaders have strongly denied the speculation.
There have been disagreements over the guardian minister posts of some districts. Fadnavis had to revoke his decision on the appointment of guardian ministers of Nashik and Raigad districts after objections from Shinde.