Khunti (Jharkhand) (PTI): A 24-year-old leader of the state Congress's tribal unit was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Jharkhand’s Khunti district, police said on Monday.
The deceased was identified as Sumit Tigga, who was general secretary of the Adivasi Congress’s Karra block unit. The incident took place in Guyu village, around 40-km from the state capital Ranchi, on Sunday evening.
Karra police station in-charge Mukesh Kumar Hembrom said, “According to a statement of the family, Tigga was at home when two of his friends called him out around 6.30 pm. They were warming themselves by a fire near the house. During that time, someone approached from behind and shot him in the head, leaving him critically injured.”
The family members took him to a hospital where doctor declared him dead, Hembrom said.
ALSO READ: Kerala lynching: CM assures justice, CPI (M) targets RSS-BJP over incident
The two friends who visited Tigga were being questioned by the police
Torpa Additional Superintendent of Police Kristopher Kerketta said the family did not provide any specific reason for the crime.
“We are examining the case from various angles,” he said.
Tigga had no criminal background.
State vice-president of the Adivasi Congress, Wilson Topno, demanded immediate arrest of the criminals involved in this killing.
The Congress is a constituent of the state's ruling coalition.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Washington (AP): President Donald Trump warned on Friday that limited strikes against Iran are possible even as the country's top diplomat said Tehran expects to have a proposed deal ready in the next few days following nuclear talks with the United States.
In response to a reporter's question on whether the US could take limited military action as the countries negotiate, Trump said, “I guess I can say I am considering that.” Earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in a TV interview that his country was planning to finalise a draft deal in “the next two to three days” to then send to Washington.
“I don't think it takes long, perhaps, in a matter of a week or so, we can start real, serious negotiations on the text and come to a conclusion,” Araghchi said on MSNOW's “Morning Joe” show.
The tensions between the longtime adversaries have ramped up as the Trump administration pushes for concessions from Iran and has built up the largest US military presence in the Middle East in decades, with more warships and aircraft on the way. Both countries have signalled that they are prepared for war if talks on Tehran's nuclear programme fizzle out.
“We are prepared for war, and we are prepared for peace,” Araghchi said Friday.
Trump said a day earlier that he believes 10 to 15 days is “enough time” for Iran to reach a deal following recent rounds of indirect negotiations, including this week in Geneva, that made little visible progress. But the talks have been deadlocked for years, and Iran has refused to discuss wider US and Israeli demands that it scale back its missile program and sever ties to armed groups.
Araghchi also said Friday that his American counterparts have not asked for zero enrichment of uranium as part of the latest round of talks, which is in contradiction to what US officials have said.
"What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran's nuclear programme, including enrichment, is peaceful and will remain peaceful forever," he said.
He added that in return Iran will implement some confidence-building measures in exchange for relief on economic sanctions.
In response to Araghchi's claim, a White House official said Trump has been clear that Iran cannot have nuclear weapons or the capacity to build them and that it cannot enrich uranium. The official wasn't authorised to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Tehran has long insisted that any negotiations should only focus on its nuclear programme and that it hasn't been enriching uranium since US and Israeli strikes last June on Iranian nuclear sites. Trump said at the time that the strikes had “obliterated” Iran's nuclear sites, but the exact damage is unknown as Tehran has barred international inspectors.
Iran has also insisted that its nuclear programme is peaceful. The US and others suspect it is aimed at eventually developing weapons.
