Mehsana, Gujarat: An incident of caste-based violence has been reported from Mehsana district in north Gujarat, an area widely recognised as an educational hub. A Dalit student, hailing from Porbandar and currently studying in Mehsana, and residing in the hostel of a BBA–BCA college, was reportedly assaulted by four individuals following a minor dispute.
According to the victim, who is currently pursuing his studies, the incident originated from a brief verbal exchange inside the hostel on February 3. He alleged that a fellow hostel resident, verbally abused him during a casual interaction. When the student objected, the accused allegedly threatened him with consequences the next day.
ALSO READ: Sale of narcotics in Konaje: 21-year-old from Mandya arrested, 55 gm MDMA seized
“Their words were more painful than the beating. They abused me using my caste name and tried to humiliate me by forcing me to beg for forgiveness,” the victim told the police, The Observer Post reported.
The complaint further states that on the morning of February 4, as the student was heading to college, he was intercepted near a Hanuman temple close to the hostel by the acused and his three associates. The accused allegedly forced him to apologise by falling at their feet. Upon his refusal, they are said to have hurled caste-based slurs and physically assaulted him using wooden sticks and belts.
The student sustained serious injuries in the attack. He initially received treatment at a university hospital but was later shifted to Mehsana Civil Hospital by ambulance after his condition deteriorated.
Subsequently, the victim, accompanied by his mother, lodged a formal complaint at the Mehsana A Division police station. Police have registered a case under provisions of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, along with sections pertaining to assault and criminal intimidation.
A police official said, “A case has been registered under the SC/ST Atrocities Act and other relevant sections. We are conducting raids to locate the accused.”
Authorities said efforts are ongoing to locate and arrest the accused, who are currently said to be absconding.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chandigarh (PTI): Some schools in Punjab's Mohali received bomb threat emails on Tuesday, which also mentioned Fortis Hospital, prompting police to launch search operation, officials said.
"The bomb threat to schools also mentioned the Fortis Hospital in Mohali, where we conducted anti-sabotage checks. Non-essential services were kept on hold while essential services continued," a senior police official said in Mohali.
He said the police were conducting checks in the schools.
Security had already been strengthened in and around Fortis hospital in Mohali after Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann was admitted there. Chief Minister Mann was re-admitted in the hospital on Monday evening, hours after he was discharged from the health facility. Mann was admitted again after he experienced exhaustion, said sources.
On Wednesday, sixteen private schools in Mohali had received bomb threat emails, triggering evacuation and prompting detailed anti-sabotage checks by police.
However, after detailed inspection, no suspicious or explosive material was found at any of the locations.
The latest scare comes close on the heels of similar threats in Chandigarh, Amritsar, Jalandhar, Patiala and Haryana schools. All threats turned out to be hoaxes.
