Chandigarh (PTI): Haryana Police have registered an FIR against unidentified persons based on a complaint lodged by the family of a teenage basketball player, who died after the iron pole of a basketball hoop fell on him during practice in Rohtak district last month, an official said on Sunday.
The family of Hardik Rathi, who competed in the sub-junior national championships earlier, filed the complaint on Saturday, a police officer in Rohtak said.
His father has alleged criminal negligence by the officials concerned in the matter, pointing out that nothing was done despite bringing the "rusted, dilapidated, and unstable" basketball poles to the authorities notice.
Sandeep Rathi said he has alleged criminal negligence by public servants and contractors associated with the incident which caused his son’s death.
"Hardik's father filed a complaint on Saturday and based on that, an FIR has been lodged against unknown persons under the Section 106 (causing death by negligence) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita," Lakhanmajra Station House Officer (SHO) Samarjeet Singh said.
"The complaint seeks action against anyone whose negligence led to the incident," he added.
Hardik and another teen died in eerily similar accidents in Haryana last month after the iron pole of the hoop crushed them on court during practice.
The twin tragedies in Rohtak and Jhajjar districts brought the state's sports infrastructure under scrutiny.
While 16-year-old Hardik died in Rohtak, Aman, 15, who was injured in Bahadurgarh, breathed his last during treatment at PGIMS Rohtak.
Hardik's father, Sandeep Rathi, had told mediapersons in Rohtak recently, "We repeatedly complained about the condition of the playground in our village, but the administration did nothing about it. Had they acted in time, my child would not have died."
The complainant has alleged that his son died in the incident while he was practicing at the basketball court at the Lakhan Majra Sports Stadium.
He said that Hardik Rathi was a national-level basketball player and had participated in several tournaments.
Sandeep Rathi further alleged that the basketball court at the stadium needed repairs as the poles were "rusted, dilapidated, and unstable" and claimed that several requests were made for this.
A grant of more than Rs 12 lakh was approved from the Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLAD) funds of the local MP, but no work was done on the basketball court. Subsequently, an additional grant of Rs 6.20 lakh was also approved under the fund, but no work was done, he alleged.
In the complaint he said due to the "deliberate negligence" of the officials concerned in the discharge of their duties, a basketball pole fell on his son, causing fatal injuries, leading to his death on November 25.
He demanded that the role of the contractor who installed the poles at the basketball court in the sports stadium and the government officials who supervised the installation should also be investigated.
"...All public servants and contractors who installed the substandard poles and who deliberately failed to perform their duties of periodically inspecting and repairing the poles are responsible for criminal negligence in causing my son's death through their actions and conduct and have therefore committed offences punishable under the law...", he alleged.
In Bahadurgarh, Aman's father Suresh recently lodged a police complaint alleging negligence on the part of the officials concerned for the teen's death. He also sought action against the officials responsible.
The twin incidents led to an outrage in Haryana, with opposition parties slamming the BJP government and anguished family members joining them in blaming the establishment for the dilapidated sports infrastructure in the state.
After the tragic incidents, Haryana Sports Minister Gaurav Gautam said that departments maintaining sportsgrounds, such as education, panchayat, etc., must give an undertaking on their worthiness.
The sports minister also chaired a review meeting with the sports department officials in Panchkula, where he said that Rs 114 crore has been released for the repair, upgradation, and redevelopment of stadiums and playgrounds across the state.
Additionally, a major portion of the funds available with the district sports councils will be used to extensively renovate the playgrounds, Gautam had said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (Sri Lanka) (PTI): New Zealand and Pakistan shared a point after incessant rain forced the abandonment of the opening T20 World Cup Group 2 Super Eights match here on Saturday.
Amid a slight drizzle, Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat first.
But the steady droplets soon transformed into relentless pouring, forcing the officials to call off the match without a ball being bowled.
Before the skies opened up, Pakistan made one change to their eleven, bringing in Fakhar Zaman in place of Khawaja Nafay.
New Zealand made three changes with skipper Mitchell Santner back after missing the last match against Canada due to a stomach issue and Lockie Ferguson and Ish Sodhi also found a place in the XI.
But all those calculations and combinations will have to wait for another day, as Pakistan will now face England here on February 24.
New Zealand will make a light travel to Colombo to face home side Sri Lanka on February 25.
The washout has also placed both the Kiwis and Pakistan in a relatively tighter place ahead of their remaining two Super Eights matches.
A similar result in any of the following matches, a possibility considering Sri Lanka’s weather pattern, or a defeat can put their semifinal ambitions in serious jeopardy.
