New Delhi: Nearly two weeks before he passed away due to a heart attack on Thursday, Supreme Court lawyer and Human Rights activist Ehtesham Hashmi was surrounded and threatened by around 300 lawyers inside the Indore Court premises for appearing to oppose the bail application of a Bajrang Dal leader.
Hashmi, who was known for his vocal activism against the Hindutva forces, died due to heart attack on Thursday.
According to a report published in Newslaundry.com the apex court lawyer had been threatened in the Indore court on January 28. He was appearing for Mufti Sabir Ali who had lodged a complaint against Bajrang Dal leader Tanu Sharma for his derogatory remarks against Prophet during the protests of Bollywood movie ‘Pathaan’ on January 25.
“Hashmi was not in their good books as last year he secured bail for the Muslim bangle seller…they often used to say within their circles that Hashmi is a PFI agent…the next day, on January 28, around 300 lawyers gathered inside the court to lead an attack on Hashmi. They wanted to set an example so that no lawyer would dare to fight such cases…Sharma got bail…Hashmi stepped out under police protection,” a lawyer, who wished to remain confidential, told Newslaundry.
Speaking to Newslaundry himself, Hashmi had admitted to having been threatened inside the Indore court on January 27, adding that he had not been bothered but continued with the argument.
The advocate had said, “Next day, the court was packed with lawyers who had come in support of Tanu Sharma. Despite repeated orders of the judge to leave the court, they didn’t step out. I was alerted in advance by my sources that I might be attacked and had requested for police security. Police escorted me outside the court…I am thankful to Indore police.”
Hashmi, however, had sent a defamation notice to the Hindi daily, Dainik Bhaskar. “They ran a totally fake story by indirect reference to me. How can they run news without verifying it?” asked Hashmi.
The advocate had been actively providing legal aid to survivors of instances of anti-Muslim violence. In 2022, he had secured bail for a Muslim bangle seller, who had been thrashed by the Hindutva activists and arrested by the Madhya Pradesh Police.
He had also been a part of several fact-finding committees, the latest being the panel that visited Tripura and Ujjain, which witnessed anti-Muslim violence.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Archaeological Survey of India has been continuously taking "proactive measures" in coordination with district administration to "mitigate" any damage to the tomb of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb in Maharashtra's Khuldabad, Parliament was informed on Thursday.
Union Culture Minster Gajendra Singh Shekhawat said this in a written response to a query in Rajya Sabha.
He was asked whether it is a fact that tomb of Aurangzeb is an ASI-protected monument, and if so, whether these details have been "mentioned in the ASI website or removed on the pretext of recent threats".
"The tomb of Aurangzeb at Khuldabad, district Aurangabad, Maharashtra is an ASI-protected monument. The details are available at ASI's website," Shekhawat said.
The tomb of Aurangzeb is under jurisdiction of Aurangabad Circle of the ASI.
The Union minister was also asked whether it has come to notice of the ASI that this particular protected monument is under threat of demolition from extremist groups; and if so, the actions taken up by the ASI to protect this monument.
"ASI has been continuously taking proactive measures in coordination with District Administration to mitigate any damage to the protected monument. Further, action taken includes providing 12 feet high metal sheet around the tomb, concertina wire over the surrounding walls to check the trespassers, deployment of private security personnel in addition to Multi Tasking Staff and inspection on regular intervals by ASI officials," he said.