New Delhi: Delhi Police have busted a cyber fraud racket involving a fake stock trading application and arrested two men from Haryana for allegedly cheating a Delhi-based Doctor of ₹22.7 lakh, The Times of India reported.
The case came to light after the Doctor filed an online complaint on November 13, stating that she was duped through a fraudulent stock market investment scheme. According to police, she was added to a messaging group where several members posed as experienced stock market experts and discussed investment opportunities related to demat shares.
One of the group administrators, identifying herself as Yalini Guna, convinced the complainant to invest through a trading application shared via a link. Believing it to be genuine, the victim initially invested ₹2.7 lakh in multiple transactions. When she later attempted to withdraw the money, she was pressured to invest additional amounts under various excuses.
ALSO READ: Congress and NCP (SP) to contest separately in Nagpur civic polls
Over time, the total amount invested rose to ₹22.7 lakh. Soon after, the victim was blocked from the application and removed from the group, following which she realised she had been cheated. A case was then registered and a special team was formed to investigate the matter.
During the investigation, police tracked the money trail and identified that part of the defrauded amount had been transferred to a bank account belonging to Sameer (22), a resident of Hisar in Haryana. Analysis of call detail records further revealed the involvement of another accused, Dev Singh (22).
Based on the findings, police conducted raids in Hisar on November 10 and arrested both accused. “During interrogation, Sameer disclosed that he opened 5 to 6 bank accounts in different banks and handed them over to Dev Singh in exchange for Rs 4,000 per account, which were then used for routing the fraud money,” DCP Gautam said.
Police seized 2 mobile phones and 3 SIM cards from the accused. Both were sent to judicial custody.
Police said the accused targeted victims through social media platforms by posing as financial experts and luring them with promises of guaranteed high returns. Victims were initially shown small profits to gain trust and were later coaxed into investing larger sums. Once the money was transferred, the fraudsters cut off all communication.
Further investigation is underway, police said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bagalkote (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension prevailed briefly during a Shivaji Jayanti procession here after stones were allegedly hurled at the rally, officials said on Friday.
The incident occurred on Thursday in the old city when the procession, which began around 3:30 pm, was passing through the mosque area, they said.
Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal said adequate forces were deployed for the procession.
ALSO READ: Netherlands PM Dick Schoof visits Bengaluru
"We were all present at the spot. The procession began around 3:30 PM (yesterday), As it approached the mosque, two stones were thrown from a distance toward us,” he said.
According to the SP, based on preliminary information and videos reviewed by the police so far, one stone struck a police constable while the other fell on his shoulder.
“No one sustained any major injuries. After that, the procession continued smoothly, and the atmosphere remained peaceful,” Goyal said.
Police said adequate security arrangements have been made in view of the procession and the situation remained under control.
"The area where the incident occurred has been covered with CCTV cameras. We had also recorded the procession. We are reviewing the video footages. Strict action will be taken against those involved in this," he added.
Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita have been imposed in parts of Bagalkote from midnight of February 19 to midnight of February 24.
According to officials, under the restrictions, assembly of more than four people in public places has been prohibited. Carrying dangerous weapons, engaging in activities that may endanger public safety, and organising meetings, ceremonies or sit-ins without prior permission have also been barred.
Measures were taken to maintain law and order in the affected areas.
