New Delhi: The Delhi High Court dismissed a petition questioning the Election Commission of India’s authority to recognise political parties as national or state-level entities on Friday, reaffirming the validity of the Election Symbols (Reservation and Allotment) Order, 1968.
According to a report published by The Hindu, the Bench comprising Justices Nitin Sambre and Anish Dayal held that the issues raised in the plea had already been settled by the Supreme Court and found no grounds to declare the Symbols Order either ultra vires or discriminatory. The court said the legal framework governing the recognition of political parties was backed by statutory provisions and long-standing judicial interpretation.
The petition was filed by the Hind Samrajya Party, a registered political party. It argued that the Election Commission lacked the power to classify parties as national or state-level. It also contended that recognised parties were granted election symbols well in advance, while newly registered parties received symbols only after the scrutiny stage, leaving them with limited time to campaign.
The High Court noted that the Supreme Court had already ruled that the allotment of election symbols could not be claimed as a fundamental right, rejecting these arguments. The Bench observed that differential treatment between recognised and unrecognised parties flowed from objective criteria laid down under the Symbols Order and the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
The court said the inability of the petitioner, described as a Uttar Pradesh-based political party, to access privileges available to recognised parties did not amount to discrimination, while clarifying that such privileges were granted only after parties met prescribed qualifications under the law. The court concluded that the recognition process and symbol allotment mechanism followed by the Election Commission were legally sound and constitutionally valid.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru (PTI): A 69-year-old woman was allegedly murdered and robbed of her gold ornaments at her residence on the city’s outskirts while her paralysed husband was present, police said Thursday.
The incident occurred on Pete Street in Nelamangala, where Shobha lived with her husband, who is paralysed and bedridden, police said.
For the past decade, she had been the sole caregiver for her husband. The couple had no children and lived a secluded life, according to police.
A video from the scene showed the woman lying in a pool of blood, with her husband beside her on the same bed, they said.
The accused, Shivakumar, a wholesale shop owner who has been arrested in the case, allegedly targeted her to clear a debt of Rs 8 lakh, police said.
The crime came to light on Wednesday evening when her husband’s physiotherapist arrived for a scheduled session. Upon finding Shobha’s lifeless body in a pool of blood, the doctor immediately alerted the local authorities, police officials said.
According to police, at approximately 4 pm on the day of the incident, the accused, Shivakumar, a resident of the same locality, noticed Shobha wearing gold jewellery. He allegedly followed her to her residence with a premeditated plan.
Shivakumar entered the house under the guise of being thirsty, asking Shobha for a glass of water. Once inside, and believing she was alone, he attacked her. When Shobha attempted to resist, the accused allegedly slit her throat, a senior police officer said.
After the murder, Shivakumar fled the scene with more than 100 grams of gold jewellery worn by the victim, police said.
By analysing CCTV footage from the surrounding area, police identified Shivakumar and tracked him down, they added.
