New Delhi (PTI): Nearly 20,000 police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed to maintain law and order as part of Delhi Police’s robust security arrangements for Christmas and New Year’s Eve celebrations, an official said on Tuesday.

Police deployment has also been increased in the border areas of the national capital, as it shares borders with Haryana and Uttar Pradesh and is close to Rajasthan. A large crowd is expected to arrive in the city for New Year’s celebrations from these states.

The official said nearly 20,000 police personnel, including traffic and paramilitary personnel, will be on the ground to check hooliganism and traffic violations.

Additional pickets, barricades and paramilitary deployment will be made at the borders to tackle nuisance by people from the adjoining states, the official added.

He said that police personnel have already been deployed in more than 10 locations for Christmas, and security checks will be intensified. Police will also be deployed in 15 more locations from where vehicles will enter Delhi.

ALSO READ: Madhya Pradesh: BJP leader assaults blind woman in Church

"The traffic police have already chalked out a plan to combat motorcycle stunts and drunk driving. Additional forces from different police stations will be deployed to help the traffic police," a senior police officer said.

The official informed that police personnel will be deployed according to shift duties. Station house officers (SHOs) have been ordered to be on the road with their teams to maintain law and order on Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

Teams will impound two or four-wheeler vehicles immediately if anyone is found indulging in stunt-like activities. Strict action will be ensured, the officer said.

"Our teams are checking bus stands, railway stations, hotels, dharamshalas, night shelters and other locations to verify if anyone is staying without providing proper documents. We have already launched our special drive to identify those who are staying illegally in the national capital," he added.

Delhi Traffic Police said their main focus will be on maintaining vehicular movement at Connaught Place, Hauz Khas, markets and near malls.

At Connaught Place, vehicles having valid stickers will be allowed to enter the Inner Circle area. These stickers will be distributed by Delhi Police, the officer added.

He further said that additional force will be deployed at the India Gate as large crowds gather there for the New Year celebrations.

Pickets will be placed at several areas across the city, especially near malls and party areas. A drive to check drunken driving will also be carried out, and those found violating the rules will be penalised, the official said.

Police personnel will also be deployed near hotels, he added.

Traffic checkpoints with breath analysers and designated checkpoints with barricades have also been put up to regulate vehicular movement, while Quick Reaction Teams (QRTs) have been stationed at strategic locations.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.