New Delhi (PTI): An 18-year-old youth has been arrested for allegedly stabbing a tutor who had been sexually assaulting his 14-year-old friend for the past six months, police said on Tuesday.
According to police, Devraj alias Jaggu, carried out the attack on Jay Prakash (32), which the boy had planned. They staged the attack as robbery and took Prakash's mobile phone and some cash.
"The incident came to light in the intervening night of January 2, when police received information from Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital about a man with stab wounds admitted near Kondli Pul. The injured was later referred to AIIMS Trauma Centre due to the critical nature of his injuries," the officer added.
According to the medico-legal certificate (MLC), the man had suffered incised wounds on the abdomen and on the left side of his back.
Police said that Prakash remained largely uncooperative and failed to clearly identify the place of occurrence, prompting the investigating team to rely heavily on technical surveillance and CCTV footage. Nearly 150 CCTV cameras were analysed across multiple locations.
Footage from Kondli Pul showed the injured man riding a bicycle towards Nehar Road in Dallupura with a boy seated behind him. About 23 minutes later, he was seen returning alone towards Kondli Mor, visibly injured.
The boy was later spotted running behind the bicycle and dropping a small duffel bag near Raj Rani Hospital, where Prakash had also managed to reach, police said.
The minor was subsequently identified and questioned in the presence of his parents. He initially told police that Prakash was his private tutor and claimed that an unknown assailant had robbed and stabbed him at a dark stretch of Nala Road in Dallupura.
However, inconsistencies in his statement led police to develop further local intelligence, which resulted in the identification of the prime accused, Devraj alias Jaggu, a resident of Kondli.
A raid was conducted, and Devraj was arrested at his residence. During interrogation, he confessed to having planned and executed the robbery-cum-stabbing in connivance with the minor, police said.
Devraj disclosed that Prakash had been sexually abusing the minor, leading to resentment and a plan for revenge. To conceal the attack, a robbery was staged at a secluded stretch of Nala Road, during which the victim was stabbed, and his mobile phone and Rs 200–300 in cash were taken, police said.
The minor also later confessed to his role in the conspiracy.
Separate cases under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act was registered against Prakash and Devraj, a senior police officer said.
Police said they have recovered the robbed mobile phone and the knife used in the attack. Further investigation is underway.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
