Shimla (PTI): A doctor allegedly assaulted a patient at the Indira Gandhi Medical College (IGMC) here on Monday, triggering protests after a video of the incident surfaced on social media.

Rahul Rao, Medical Superintendent of the hospital, said action against the accused doctor has been initiated and a report has been sought. Further action will be taken after the report is received, he said.

Rao added that the victim has lodged a police complaint and an FIR has been filed against the doctor.

In the viral video, the doctor is seen punching a patient who was lying on a hospital bed. The patient is seen resisting by kicking, while two other persons try to restrain both of them. The patient suffered a nose injury in the incident.

ALSO READ: Punjab: Duped of Rs 8 crore in cyber fraud, ex-IPS officer Amar Chahal shoots self in Patiala

The video, shot by a person accompanying the patient, sparked a furore after it was widely shared on social media, following which hundreds of people staged a protest outside the hospital premises.

According to the victim, a resident of Nerwa in Shimla district, he had come to the hospital for endoscopy and was advised by a doctor to rest for a few hours.

He said that he was asked to lie down on a vacant bed. While he was resting, the accused doctor arrived and allegedly began misbehaving with him.

The victim claimed that when he asked the doctor to behave respectfully, the doctor assaulted him. The accused doctor, however, claimed that the patient had misbehaved with him.

Following the incident, patients and local residents staged protests, demanding strict action against the doctor.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.

A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.

It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.

As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."

"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.

The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.

The court listed the matter for hearing next week.

Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.

The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.

In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.

The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.

The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.

The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.

Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.

On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.

The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.

The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.