Kolkata, Aug 12: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee vowed to transfer the alleged rape and murder case of a woman physician inside a Kolata hospital to the CBI if the police failed to solve it by Sunday, amid public outrage.

Supporting the cease work by junior doctors at that hospital, interns and postgraduate trainees at other state-run medical establishments across the state vowed to continue their agitation, now in its fourth day, until the culprits are brought to justice.

Banerjee’s promise, however, did not placate the protesting students, who criticized the chief minister for setting a seven-day deadline to address the alleged rape and murder of a fellow doctor.

They demanded a judicial inquiry, capital punishment for the culprits, adequate compensation for the victim's family and stronger security measures at hospitals.

A two-member team of the National Commission for Women (NCW) this afternoon arrived in Kolkata and met officers of the Kolkata police and the family members of the victim.

The body of the woman post-graduate trainee, who was allegedly raped and murdered inside a seminar hall of RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, was found on Friday morning. Junior doctors began a cease work from the evening that day.

A civic volunteer was arrested on Saturday in connection with the case.

At least three Public Interest Litigations (PILs) were also filed before the Calcutta High Court, demanding that the investigation be transferred to the CBI.

A division bench, presided over by Chief Justice T S Sivagnanam, will hear these PILs on Tuesday.

Visiting the residence of the deceased doctor, the chief minister vowed to seek the death penalty for those responsible for the crime.

Banerjee said the family members of the deceased doctor suspect that an insider was involved.

"I want the police to arrest the culprits as soon as possible. If they are unable to crack the case by Sunday, we will hand it over to the CBI. I don’t have an issue with the central agency taking over, but its success rate is low," Banerjee said.

The chief minister pointed out several high-profile cases that the CBI has failed to solve, expressing scepticism about the agency's effectiveness.

She also emphasized the need for the case to be tried in a fast-track court.

City Police Commissioner Vineet Goyal, who accompanied Banerjee to the victim’s residence, assured the public that the investigation was proceeding with all due urgency.

"We are certain that if there are other culprits, they will be arrested within the next four to five days," he said.

The Kolkata police on Monday summoned seven doctors for questioning and five others, who were known to the arrested civic volunteer.

Among those summoned is one assistant professor who was the first person to call up several people to inform them about the death of the doctor.

Police claimed that during the investigation, it was revealed that the accused was addicted to "hardcore pornography."

The arrested man, who began working as a civic volunteer in 2019, had been married at least four times and was known to be a "womaniser", police officers said.

The incident has sparked widespread protests, with junior doctors and healthcare workers expressing deep concern over their safety and the handling of the case by the authorities.

Facing backlash for the perceived failure to ensure the safety of the hospital’s staff, the principal of RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, Sandip Ghosh, resigned from his post and government service on Monday.

"I cannot take this insult anymore. All the allegations raised against me are false and fabricated. A student movement has been incited to remove me. There is a political mind behind this," Ghosh said in his resignation letter.

His departure follows the earlier removal of the medical superintendent-cum-vice-principal Sanjay Vashisth.

Across West Bengal, hospital services have been disrupted as junior doctors continued their cease work, refusing to resume duties until their demands for a thorough investigation and greater security measures are met.

The protestors also demanded an apology from Kolkata Police for allegedly spreading rumours about the investigation and sought the removal of all senior hospital officials, insisting they should not be reassigned elsewhere.

Initially, the police had suspected the death was a suicide but later revised their stance.

The junior doctors, later in the evening, hit the streets raising slogans: “No Safety, No Duty”.

The protesting doctors also demanded that the post-mortem examination report of the victim and the CCTV footage near the seminar hall be made public.

While senior doctors have been called back from leave to handle the influx of patients, the situation remains tense, with outpatient departments struggling to address the situation.

Support for the striking doctors has poured in from across the country.

The Federation of Resident Doctors' Association of India (FORDA) has endorsed the strike and called for a nationwide halt to elective services.

A group of intellectuals took out a rally in the city, demanding the strictest punishment against the culprits.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru, Apr 03 (PTI): The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence said jeweller Sahil Sakariya Jain played a key role in assisting Kannada actress Harshavardhini Ranya, also known as Ranya Rao, in disposing of 49.6 kg of smuggled gold worth 40.14 crore.

According to the DRI’s remand note, Jain not only helped facilitate the illegal transaction but also abetted Ranya in hawala money transfers linked to the smuggling operation.

Jain, a jeweller by profession, was arrested on March 26 for assisting Ranya in the gold smuggling case.

He has been remanded to judicial custody until April 7.

Jain not only helped Ranya in allegedly disposing of the gold but also appeared to have facilitated Hawala money transactions.

"It appears that he assisted and abetted Accused No. 1 in disposing of approximately 49.6 kg of gold worth 40,13,59,374. He has also admitted to aiding A1 in transferring Hawala money amounting to around 38,39,97,000 to Dubai and 1,73,61,787 to A1 in Bengaluru," the DRI stated.

The agency further noted that the unaccounted cash of 2.67 crore seized from Ranya’s residence on March 4, as per the ‘Mahazar’ , was likely Hawala money she received as profit from purchasing gold in Dubai and selling it in Bengaluru.

The DRI added that Jain admitted to receiving a commission of 55,000 for each transaction.

"The voluminous evidence extracted from two mobile phones and a laptop belonging to Sahil Sakariya Jain further establishes his role in the smuggling of large quantities of gold into India by A1 ," the DRI stated.

According to the agency, in January 2025, Jain helped Ranya dispose of 14.568 kg of gold worth 11.56 crore and facilitated the transfer of 11.01 crore in Hawala transactions to Dubai.

Additionally, he admitted to transferring 55 lakh in Bengaluru.

In February, Jain allegedly assisted Ranya in disposing of 13.433 kg of gold worth 11.81 crore.

During the same month, he helped transfer 11.25 crore in Hawala funds to Dubai and 55.81 lakh to Ranya in Bengaluru.

Ranya, the stepdaughter of a DGP-rank officer in Karnataka, was arrested on March 3, shortly after returning from Dubai at Kempegowda International Airport.

The DRI officials seized 14.7 kg of gold from her possession.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.