Melbourne (AP): A gunman was at large after a shooting in a town in Australia's New South Wales state on Thursday left three people dead and another wounded, police said.
Emergency services were called to two locations at Lake Cargelligo, a town of around 1,500 people, after 4 pm. Two couples, a man and woman, had been shot in each location within minutes, Police Assistant Commissioner Andy Holland said.
Both women and a man died. Another man was taken to hospital in serious but stable condition, he said.
Police knew the identity of a suspect, but did not know his relationship with the victims, who were all Lake Cargelligo locals, Holland said. The suspect's name has not been released.
The victims were the suspect's former partner, two of her relatives and her new partner, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported, citing unnamed police sources.
State police were working to locate the suspect and had sent resources from neighbouring districts to the town, including heavily armed tactical police, Holland said. The town had been cordoned off to prevent the suspect's escape.
Police used geo-targeted text messages to urge the public to avoid the area and for local residents to stay inside. The Commercial Hotel, a local pub, was closed by 6 pm.
“The offender is believed to have fled in a vehicle,” Holland told reporters. “The offender is mobile, hence … we're asking people in those areas to remain inside their premises for their own safety.”
Local state parliament lawmaker Roy Butler, described the shooting as “tragic news” for the town, which is a 600-kilometre (370-mile) drive west of Sydney.
“It's a terrible situation, and it's still live, so we don't have much information. My thoughts are with the victims and their families,” Butler said.
The shooting came on a National Day of Mourning as Australia remembers the 15 people shot dead in Sydney at a Hannukah celebration on December 14.
Authorities say the two alleged Sydney gunmen were inspired by the Islamic State group to carry out Australia's worst mass shooting since 1996.
The Australian Parliament on Tuesday passed new gun restrictions in response to the tragedy.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru: The Holy month of Ramadan will start from Thursday, February 19, announced convener of the State Moon Sighting Committee Maulana Maqsood Imran Rashadi on Wednesday.
Speaking at a press conference after the Moon Sighting Committee meeting held at the State Waqf Board office on Cunningham Road in the city on Wednesday evening, he said that there is no information about moon sighting anywhere in the capital Bengaluru, including other districts.
“However, after receiving reports of moon sightings in neighbouring states including Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Rajasthan and Delhi, it has been decided to start fasting from Thursday,” he said.
The meeting was attended by Maulana Mufti Iftikhar Ahmed Qasmi, Maulana Ejaz Ahmed Nadvi and other members of the ulema.
