Itanagar (PTI): The Gauhati High Court's Itanagar Bench quashed the bail granted to IAS officer Talo Potom, accused in a high-profile abetment to suicide case, directing that he be taken into custody with immediate effect.

In an order, Justice Yarenjungla Longkumer on Friday held that the trial court had ignored crucial evidence and legal principles while granting bail to the accused in November last year.

The court termed the earlier order 'perverse' and said it was passed without proper application of mind.

The case relates to the suicide of Gomchu Yekar in October 2025 at his rented residence in Lekhi village. His father, Tagom Yekar, had moved the High Court seeking cancellation of bail, alleging systematic mental harassment, sexual exploitation, and corruption-related pressure by the accused, which was mentioned in the suicide notes left behind by the deceased.

During the hearing, the petitioner's counsel argued that the accused, a senior public servant, was granted bail within seven days of arrest, despite the investigation being at a preliminary stage. It was also submitted that deleted WhatsApp chats and voice messages were still under forensic examination.

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) informed the court that forensic analysis had confirmed the suicide notes to be in the deceased's handwriting. It also stated that custodial interrogation could not be conducted earlier due to law and order concerns.

Observing that the lower court had conducted a 'mini trial' at the bail stage and even speculated about the victim's mental health without evidence, the High Court said such findings were unwarranted and legally flawed.

"The offence had shocked the collective conscience of society and involved an influential person. Releasing him at such a nascent stage of investigation could derail the probe," the court noted.

The bench set aside the November 2025 bail order and directed the immediate arrest of the accused. However, it granted him liberty to apply for fresh bail before the trial court, if advised.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has arrested a 22-year-old man who allegedly stole cash, a laptop and a mobile phone from his uncle's shop in Dwarka to take revenge after he was fired from the family business, officials said on Wednesday.

Piyush Tulswani, the accused, completed his Class 11 from Rajasthan's Pilani, after which he came back to live with his family, a senior police officer said.

His father, Kishan Tulswani, used to work as a sales manager at his uncle Jeetu's confectionery shops. After the death of his father, Piyush took up his position, the officer said.

Soon, Piyush started embezzling money from the shops, and was fired after Jeetu took note of the act, police said.

His mother also reprimanded him for embezzling money, after which Piyush left home and started living with his friend, the officer said.

Piyush hatched a plot to steal money from his uncle’s shops, which he knew well. Acting on his plan, he took his brother's scooter and broke open each shop, stealing cash, a laptop and a mobile phone.

On January 31, Jeetu reported the matter to police, accusing Piyush of committing burglaries at his shops located in Sector-18, Sector-11, Sector-12 and Sector-4, Dwarka, the officer said.

Jeetu also provided CCTV camera footage from the shops, in which Piyush could be seen breaking them open, he said.

Tracing his mobile phone locations to Safdarjang, Hauz Khas, Rajapuri and Dabri, police conducted several raids.

“He later switched off his phone to restrict access to his location,” the officer said.

On February 13, police received information that Piyush would come to the fruit mandi in Dabri around 9.30 am. Accordingly, a trap was laid, leading to the arrest of the accused, he said.

Initially, he did not confess to the crime, but when police showed him the CCTV clips, he admitted to committing the burglaries, the officer said.