Srinagar (PTI): Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday expressed hope that the probe into the Nowgam police station accidental blast will provide answers to the questions surrounding the unfortunate incident that claimed nine lives.
Speaking to reporters after visiting a hospital here to inquire about those injured in the accidental blast on Friday, Abdullah said it is unfortunate that many people lost their precious lives and several others were injured.
"The investigations are on to ascertain its cause and why it happened. I hope people will get answers, because it should not happen. Such a huge quantity of explosives was brought here, in which conditions was it transported and stored, and how was it being dealt with, we will gradually get answers to all these questions," he said.
The CM expressed sympathies and condolences to all those families who lost their loved ones.
Nine people -- five personnel from the police department and four civilians -- were killed, and 32 others sustained injuries in an accidental blast in Nowgam police station.
On the investigations into the Delhi blast and the "white collar" terror module case, Abdullah advocated stringent punishment for all those involved, but urged that innocent civilians should not be harmed.
"I raised the issue yesterday at the North Zone Chief Minister's conference as well. Union Home Minister was there, Union Home Secretary, CMs of north zone, governors, LGs, were there. I appealed to them to not see every citizen of J-K, especially every Kashmiri Muslim, with suspicion," he said.
Last week, Abdullah said that those behind the Delhi blast should be given the strictest punishment, but emphasised that the entire population of Jammu and Kashmir cannot be branded as sympathisers of terrorism.
A blast in an explosives-laden car, which was being driven by Dr Umar Nabi, who hailed from south Kashmir's Pulwama, near the Red Fort in Delhi killed 15 people and injured several others on November 10.
Abdullah said while those involved in the module, especially in the Delhi blast, be arrested and given stringent punishment, "innocent people, who have no connection with it and have always raised their voice against violence, should not be brought into this ambit".
The chief minister expressed hope that the Centre will pay heed to what he said.
Asked about providing compensation to the families of the victims of the Nowgam blast, Abdullah said the government has already announced ex-gratia from the CM's relief fund.
"For the structural damage, I have talked to the MLAs, a case is being prepared and whatever we can give according to the procedure, we will, and the rest, because the blast took place in the police station, it is hoped that these house owners should get relief from the funds available with the Home Department and with the LG," he said.
Asked if the government will provide a job to the family of the tailor, Mohammad Shafi Parray, who lost his life in the blast, Abdullah said his kin should get the job.
"There used to be SRO (Statutory Rules and Orders) for such cases, now its name has been changed, but the scheme is the same. A government job is provided as compensation to the families of those killed in such incidents. I will tell the government officers to process the case for the tailor's family and as soon as it comes to us, we will approve it," the CM added.
During his visit to the hospital, he reviewed the medical condition of the injured and interacted with the doctors and attendants.
Calling for the best possible treatment, he said, "Every injured individual must receive the utmost care. Their wellbeing is our immediate priority."
Abdullah said he is grateful to the hospital for reaching out to the injured immediately after the blast.
"They did not wait for a phone call... saw the blast through their window, took out their ambulances, and reached the spot before anyone else, and took the injured from there. Many of the injured are in their hospital, four are in ICU, I hope all of them get well and go home," he added.
Earlier, Abdullah visited the families of Aijaz Afzal Mir at HMT Zainakote, Mohammad Amin Mir at Bemina, and Showkat Ahmad Bhat at Qamarwari '? all members of FSL team, Suhail Ahmad Rather at Natipora (revenue department chowkidar), and Mohammad Shafi Paray at Wanabal (tailor).
The CM expressed his deep sorrow over the irreparable loss and prayed for the departed souls to rest in peace in heaven. He also prayed for strength and forbearance for the families to bear the loss.
Expressing profound grief, the CM said the tragic incident has taken away dedicated individuals who were serving the people with sincerity and courage.
"Their loss is a loss for all of Jammu and Kashmir," Abdullah said.
He assured the families that the Government stands firmly with them, adding, "We will ensure every possible support to the bereaved families in this hour of unimaginable pain."
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Kolkata (PTI): Alleging that her West Bengal counterpart Mamata Banerjee had approached the Supreme Court to stall the SIR exercise to prevent the identification of infiltrators, Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta on Sunday claimed that the people of the state have made up their minds to dislodge the Trinamool Congress from power.
The TMC countered strongly, urging Gupta to "look into her own backyard" and accused her of making absurd allegations against the TMC government without checking facts.
Addressing participants at the 'Nari Sankalp Yatra' organised by the BJP's women's wing at Science City auditorium here, Gupta alleged that the "hands-off" and appeasement policies of the TMC government had allowed thousands of infiltrators to enter the state in recent years.
She claimed that this had put a strain on basic rights such as access to water, electricity, ration, education, livelihood and the right to vote for genuine citizens.
"She wants to perpetuate this and hence is trying to stall the SIR exercise, which aims at identifying and deporting infiltrators. Imagine a chief minister going to the apex court to argue against an exercise meant to ensure free and fair polls," Gupta said.
The BJP leader alleged that appeasement politics had reached an "alarming level" under the TMC regime.
Raising concerns over women's safety, she claimed that women in the state were not secure despite having a woman chief minister.
Referring to the rape-murder of a woman doctor at RG Kar Hospital, Gupta alleged that the state government had failed to respond adequately to such crimes.
She also referred to the alleged rape of a woman medic in Durgapur and another law student on a Kolkata college campus, claiming that criminals had been emboldened to commit brutalities against women.
She alleged that in crimes against women, overall crime incidents and child marriages, West Bengal remained among the top -- "a slur on a state which once led intellectual and social movements and set examples for the rest of the country," she said.
Criticising the state government's welfare initiatives, she said schemes such as Kanyashree were built on "false claims" and asserted that women needed security rather than assurances.
Accusing the state government of blocking central schemes, Gupta alleged that funds worth "lakhs of crores of rupees" had not reached the poor due to non-implementation of programmes such as Ayushman Bharat, PM Awas Yojana and Jal Jeevan Mission by the state.
"You are only interested in renaming projects and taking credit," she said.
Gupta also alleged that the education sector in the state had been adversely affected, saying several state-run schools had closed due to a shortage of teachers and that the government was opposed to the National Education Policy.
Drawing a comparison with BJP-ruled Delhi, Gupta said, "People have already voted out 'Bhaia' (a reference to former Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal). Now it is your turn to bid farewell to 'Didi'." Calling upon women to resist what she termed "strong-arm tactics", she urged them to assert their strength, invoking the imagery of Goddess Durga.
"Bengal has the right to live with dignity, and women have the right to live with dignity," she added.
Reacting to Gupta's allegations, West Bengal Women and Child Welfare minister Shashi Panja accused her of making "absurd allegations" against the Trinamool Congress government ahead of elections.
Panja alleged that during Gupta's tenure in Delhi, several incidents had raised serious concerns, including reports of missing young women and a blast near the Red Fort.
She also criticised the air pollution situation in the national capital, claiming that people were struggling to breathe.
The TMC leader said that despite being in power for a year, Gupta was making "tall claims" instead of addressing key issues in Delhi.
Panja further alleged that the Delhi CM visited West Bengal during elections to "peddle false allegations" against the state government.
Rebutting Gupta, the TMC said in a post on X said, "Madam why did you go off-script again? For your edification, here are the cold, hard facts: In total cases of crimes (IPC + SLL), Bengal ranks a respectable 15th, far safer than BJP-ruled Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Gujarat, which languish near the bottom."
"In overall crime rate, Bengal sits comfortably at 28th. Who's second? Your own Delhi. Double Engine Gujarat and Haryana grab 4th and 5th as top-tier crime havens," the TMC said.
"In child marriage, Assam again takes the shameful pole position. And yet you dare lecture Bengal? Stop embarrassing yourself, stop the hypocrisy, and maybe fix the rotting mess in your own backyard before pointing fingers at a state that's outperforming your disasters on every key metric," the TMC countered.
