Indore/Dewas (PTI): A sub-divisional magistrate in Madhya Pradesh’s Dewas district was suspended on Sunday for allegedly citing minister Kailash Vijayvargiya’s controversial remark and the Congress’ allegations in an official order amid the Indore water contamination crisis, officials said.
They said Ujjain Division Revenue Commissioner Ashish Singh suspended the SDM on charges of serious negligence, indifference and irregularities in the discharge of official duties.
The officials said that the SDM had issued an order on Saturday to deploy subordinate revenue staffers to maintain law and order in view of a Congress protest in Dewas on Sunday.
“However, the wording of a portion of the Congress memorandum was copied verbatim in the SDM’s order issued for official purposes. This amounts to serious negligence, a senior official told PTI.
The Congress memorandum had targeted the BJP government in the state over the Indore drinking water crisis and said minister Kailash Vijayvargiya’s use of the objectionable word ‘ghanta’ in response to a journalist’s question reflected “inhumanity and authoritarianism”.
The memorandum, citing instructions of state Congress president Jitu Patwari, said party workers would hold ‘ghanta’ protests against this “inhuman behaviour” by ringing bells outside the residences of BJP MPs and MLAs across the state.
The protest was organised against deaths linked to contaminated drinking water in Indore’s Bhagirathpura area and Vijayvargiya’s controversial remark to a TV journalist who questioned him about the tragedy.
Vijayvargiya, the state's Urban Development and Housing Minister, sparked a row on the night of December 31 by using the word ‘ghanta’ on camera when asked about the water contamination crisis. In common parlance, the term is broadly understood to mean “nonsense”.
The administration has confirmed six deaths so far due to the diarrhoea outbreak caused by contaminated water in the city. Mayor Pushyamitra Bhargav had said on January 2 that he had information about 10 deaths linked to the outbreak.
However, local residents have claimed that 16 people, including a six-month-old infant, have died due to the outbreak.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.
Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.
However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.
"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.
The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.
"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.
With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.
"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."
Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.
"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.
"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."
