Ranchi (PTI): The Jharkhand Health department has issued an advisory, directing all district civil surgeons to step up measures against Nipah virus in the wake of two confirmed cases in neighbouring West Bengal, an official said on Friday.

Though no confirmed case has been reported in Jharkhand so far, the movement of people from affected areas poses a potential risk, he said.

"Given the highly infectious nature of the disease and its high mortality rate, the department stressed the need for constant surveillance," Additional Chief Secretary, Health department, Ajoy Kumar said.

Nipah virus is a zoonotic disease primarily transmitted from bats to humans and animals. The infection can spread through consumption of fruits or raw date palm sap contaminated with bat saliva or urine, as well as through close contact with infected individuals and their bodily fluids, the department added.

ALSO READ:  BJP to name new party chief on Jan 20; sources say Nitin Nabin likely to be elected unopposed

The advisory listed symptoms such as high fever, headache, dizziness, cough, breathing difficulty, sore throat, altered mental status, and severe neurological complications, including seizures and coma.

"Districts are directed to strengthen screening and surveillance, particularly of individuals arriving from Nipah-affected regions, to prevent and control any potential outbreak. All suspected cases must be promptly reported to the Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP)," it said.

"Patients showing severe symptoms or respiratory distress must be immediately isolated and referred for advanced medical care," it added.

It also mandated strict adherence to infection prevention and control (IPC) protocols in all healthcare facilities.

The public was urged not to eat fallen fruits or consume raw date palm sap or toddy, to avoid unnecessary close contact with individuals, and to seek immediate medical attention if symptoms appear, the advisory said.

Meanwhile, the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) here has kept 22 beds in an isolation ward ready, an official told PTI.

Earlier, on January 13, the state's health department had sounded an alert and issued a set of guidelines regarding surveillance and public awareness.

Nipah virus is a notifiable disease with high mortality and the potential for rapid spread, requiring immediate reporting to the Central government.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".