New Delhi: Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) Professor Atul Johri was arrested on Tuesday over allegations of sexual misconduct, a police officer said.

"He has been arrested and is being produced in the Patiala House court," Joint Commissioner of Police Ajay Chaudhary told IANS.

Police has registered eight FIRs against Johri on the separate complaints of nine students who alleged that he sexually harassed them in School of Life Sciences lab.

Earlier in the day, Johri was detained for questioning.

"Johri's statement during questioning in eight FIRs and similar complaints by other students were video recorded," a senior police officer said.

Chaudhary said: "We have recorded the statements of the complainants. A few more female students have approached the police and levelled similar allegations against Johri. They are being examined.

"Legal action will be initiated. The investigation is being closely monitored by Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Monika Bhardwaj."

The arrest came as JNU students continued to protest over the delay in taking action against the professor.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chandigarh (PTI): Some schools in Punjab's Mohali received bomb threat emails on Tuesday, which also mentioned Fortis Hospital, prompting police to launch search operation, officials said.

"The bomb threat to schools also mentioned the Fortis Hospital in Mohali, where we conducted anti-sabotage checks. Non-essential services were kept on hold while essential services continued," a senior police official said in Mohali.

He said the police were conducting checks in the schools.

Security had already been strengthened in and around Fortis hospital in Mohali after Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann was admitted there. Chief Minister Mann was re-admitted in the hospital on Monday evening, hours after he was discharged from the health facility. Mann was admitted again after he experienced exhaustion, said sources.

On Wednesday, sixteen private schools in Mohali had received bomb threat emails, triggering evacuation and prompting detailed anti-sabotage checks by police.

However, after detailed inspection, no suspicious or explosive material was found at any of the locations.

The latest scare comes close on the heels of similar threats in Chandigarh, Amritsar, Jalandhar, Patiala and Haryana schools. All threats turned out to be hoaxes.