Kozhikode (Kerala) (PTI): A letter penned by a school student lavishing praise on soldiers involved in rescue operations in landslide-hit Wayanad has won the heart of the Indian Army, which gave him a touching reply through its social media handle.

The Southern Command of the Army posted the child's letter and their reply on the X handle recently.

Rayan, a Class 3 student of the AMLP School in this northern district, wrote down the letter in his school diary, saying that he felt "proud and happy" to see the Army men rescuing people who were stuck under debris.

"I am Rayan. My beloved Wayanad was struck by a massive landslide, creating havoc and destruction. I felt proud and happy to see you rescuing people who were stuck under debris," the child said in the Malayalam letter.

He referred to a video in which the soldiers were seen eating biscuits to sate their hunger while setting up a bridge in the ravaged area and said the sight moved him deeply.

Rayan also expressed his wish to join the Indian Army one day and protect the nation.

"That sight moved me deeply, and I aspire to join the Indian Army one day and protect the nation," he wrote in the letter.

As the letter went viral on social media platforms, the Indian Army posted a reply to the student via their X handle on August 3.

Calling the young boy a "warrior," the Army said his "heartfelt words" have deeply touched them.

"Dear Master Rayan,

Your heartfelt words have deeply touched us. In times of adversity, we aim to be a beacon of hope, and your letter reaffirms this mission. Heroes like you inspire us to give our utmost. We eagerly await the day you don the uniform and stand alongside us. Together, we will make our nation proud. Thank you, young warrior, for your courage and inspiration," the Southern Command said.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru, Apr 3 (PTI): The Karnataka government decided to establish a Gig Workers’ Welfare Board, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah’s office said on Thursday.

The decision was made following a discussion between Siddaramaiah and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi in New Delhi.

According to a statement issued by the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO), Rahul Gandhi inquired about the timeline for formulating the Gig Workers' Welfare Act, which he had promised during his Bharat Jodo Yatra and the elections.

"The Karnataka government has decided to establish a Gig Workers' Welfare Board to ensure the well-being of workers employed by companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Ola, Uber, and others," the statement said.

It further stated that a five per cent cess would be collected from the concerned companies, while the state government would provide the remaining funds required to support welfare schemes for gig workers.

"A comprehensive bill covering all aspects of gig workers' welfare will be prepared and presented before the state cabinet for approval," the statement added.

Three gig worker representatives—Rakshitha Dev, Sheikh Salahuddin, and Nikhil Dev—were also invited to the meeting.

They appreciated the government's initiative and expressed hope for improved working conditions.

State ministers Santosh Lad, Priyank Kharge, and M B Patil were present at the meeting.

Santosh Lad was quoted as saying that Rahul Gandhi, who had earlier advocated for gig workers' rights during the Bharat Jodo Yatra, welcomed the eight-point proposal prepared by the Labour department.

Rahul Gandhi also emphasised the need for swift implementation to safeguard gig workers' interests.

"The Karnataka Labour Department has already introduced three key bills—covering workers' gratuity, cinema workers' rights, and now, gig workers' welfare. The unorganised workers' sector has lauded the government's efforts and extended full support for this progressive move," the statement quoted Lad as saying.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.