Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Finance Minister K N Balagopal on Friday sought to allay concerns over the proposed Malayalam Language Bill 2025, stating that the legislation would not lead to discrimination against any section of society.

Addressing a press conference, Balagopal said, according to Asianet News, “I can assure you of one thing: there will be no discrimination against anyone in the state,” amid criticism from neighbouring Karnataka over the bill’s provisions.

The proposed bill has sparked debate over making Malayalam the first compulsory language across Kerala. Earlier, speaking to the media in Bidar on Friday regarding the issue, Minister Priyank Kharge said language promotion should not turn into enforcement.

“When states were formed, bifurcation was done on the basis of language. In Kasargod, more than 90% of the people speak Kannada. There is nothing wrong with promoting a language, but it should not be enforced,” ANN quoted him as saying.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah wrote to Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, expressing serious concern over the proposed bill. In his letter, Siddaramaiah warned that making Malayalam compulsory even in Kannada-medium schools could adversely affect minority-run institutions and place additional pressure on students in border regions.

Highlighting India’s linguistic and cultural diversity, Siddaramaiah reportedly said that regions such as Kasargod have historically thrived on linguistic harmony, with Malayalam, Kannada, Tulu, and Beary shaping everyday life.

While reiterating Karnataka’s pride in the Kannada language, he stressed that language promotion must never turn into imposition.

Calling for a review, he urged the Kerala government to reconsider the bill and hold wider consultations with linguistic minorities, educators, and neighbouring states. He maintained that Karnataka would oppose the bill, if passed, using every constitutional means to defend minority rights and uphold the plural spirit of the Constitution.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru (PTI): A 69-year-old woman was allegedly murdered and robbed of her gold ornaments at her residence on the city’s outskirts while her paralysed husband was present, police said Thursday.

The incident occurred on Pete Street in Nelamangala, where Shobha lived with her husband, who is paralysed and bedridden, police said.

For the past decade, she had been the sole caregiver for her husband. The couple had no children and lived a secluded life, according to police.

A video from the scene showed the woman lying in a pool of blood, with her husband beside her on the same bed, they said.

The accused, Shivakumar, a wholesale shop owner who has been arrested in the case, allegedly targeted her to clear a debt of Rs 8 lakh, police said.

The crime came to light on Wednesday evening when her husband’s physiotherapist arrived for a scheduled session. Upon finding Shobha’s lifeless body in a pool of blood, the doctor immediately alerted the local authorities, police officials said.

According to police, at approximately 4 pm on the day of the incident, the accused, Shivakumar, a resident of the same locality, noticed Shobha wearing gold jewellery. He allegedly followed her to her residence with a premeditated plan.

Shivakumar entered the house under the guise of being thirsty, asking Shobha for a glass of water. Once inside, and believing she was alone, he attacked her. When Shobha attempted to resist, the accused allegedly slit her throat, a senior police officer said.

After the murder, Shivakumar fled the scene with more than 100 grams of gold jewellery worn by the victim, police said.

By analysing CCTV footage from the surrounding area, police identified Shivakumar and tracked him down, they added.