Thiruvananthapuram (PTI): Kerala Minister V Sivankutty on Friday wrote to Union Labour Minister Mansukh Mandaviya, demanding for the immediate withdrawal of the four new labour codes notified by the Centre.

In his letter, Sivankutty expressed strong disagreement with the new codes, claiming they undermine workers' rights and welfare and compromise the basic principle of social justice, a statement issued by his office said.

He acknowledged the need for reforms in the labour sector but said, according to central trade union representatives, the new codes dilute job security, the right to collective bargaining, and safe working conditions.

Sivankutty noted that 'employment' is a subject under the concurrent list of the Constitution and argued that the Centre should have consulted state governments and trade unions instead of unilaterally implementing the codes.

"Avoiding such democratic discussions will disrupt labour peace in the country. In this situation, the central government should immediately withdraw the labour codes in their current form," he said.

The minister demanded transparent and detailed discussions with state governments, central trade unions, and other stakeholders, emphasising that workers' rights and welfare must be protected while implementing any labour reforms.

The letter came a day after Sivankutty met representatives of all central trade unions, during which a resolution was passed urging the Centre to withdraw the new labour codes.

Sivankutty had said that an initial letter would be sent to the Centre, followed by a personal meeting with the Union Labour Minister, along with trade union representatives, to press for the demand.

The union government recently notified all four labour codes, pending since 2020, introducing major reforms, including universal social security coverage for gig workers, mandatory appointment letters for all employees, statutory minimum wages, and timely payment across sectors.

The Kerala government had earlier, in 2021, notified draft regulations in the state in connection with the new labour codes. On Thursday, Sivankutty clarified that those were only drafts and would remain as such.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Guwahati (PTI): Former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Kumar Borah on Sunday joined the ruling BJP in the presence of its state unit president Dilip Saikia here.

Borah became a BJP member during a function held at the Assam BJP headquarters 'Vajpayee Bhawan'.

Along with him, former Congress worker Sanju Bora, too, joined the saffron party.

Borah had resigned on February 16, with the Congress high command not accepting it and senior leaders rushing to his residence, while Rahul Gandhi also spoke to him.

He had asked for time to reconsider his decision, but the next day, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma went to his residence and announced that he would join the BJP on February 22.

The 126-member Assam assembly is expected to go to polls in March-April.