Pathanamthitta: The Left Democratic Front (LDF) suffered a major setback in the local body elections in Kerala’s Pathanamthitta district, with the Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) emerging with a clear advantage. Amid this political defeat, an LDF worker drew public attention by keeping a promise he had made before the polls.
Babu Varghese, an LDF activist, had publicly declared ahead of the election that he would shave off his trademark moustache if the LDF failed to retain the Pathanamthitta Municipality. After the results were announced and the party lost control of the municipality, Varghese followed through on his promise and shaved his moustache.
ALSO READ: President Murmu rejects mercy plea of man convicted for rape, murder of 2-year-old in Maharashtra
The loss of the Pathanamthitta Municipality has come as a significant blow to the Left parties at the local level.
In addition, the UDF secured majorities in 34 Gram Panchayats and seven Block Panchayats across the district. In the municipal elections as well, the UDF won three municipalities, two of which were previously under Left control.
LDF party worker Babu Varghese, who had vowed to shave his moustache if the LDF failed to win the Pathanamthitta Municipality, has now gone through with it after the party’s defeat. #Pathanamthitta #LDF #KeralaLocalBodyElection2025 #KeralaLocalBodyElection pic.twitter.com/gxQ9dKFQSt
— Harish M (@chnmharish) December 13, 2025
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Gandhinagar (PTI): The Gujarat government on Friday announced it plans to amend rules framed under the Gujarat Registration of Marriages Act, saying the move is aimed at plugging loopholes in the existing system.
Speaking in the assembly, Deputy Chief Minister Harsh Sanghavi stressed the need for new norms, alleging that “innocent girls are being trapped” and such practices were spreading “like termites” in society.
He said several people and social organisations had urged the government to amend the marriage registration rules to prevent misuse of procedural gaps.
Referring to what he termed “love jihad”, Sanghavi said it amounted to a “cultural invasion” and asserted that the BJP government could no longer ignore the issue. He said the amendments are aimed at strengthening safeguards in the registration process.
ALSO READ: Delhi HC asks Jaideep Sengar to surrender in Unnao custodial death case
He said objections and suggestions on the proposed amendments are now invited from the public for 30 days.
“People and organisations can register their suggestions and objections on the Health and Family Welfare Department’s website. The new rules will be implemented after considering these suggestions and objections received by the department,” he said.
Later, the minister’s office shared a document detailing the proposed procedure for marriage registration under the amended rules.
As per the proposed rules, every marriage registration application will need to be submitted before the Assistant Registrar, while applicants must attach a declaration stating whether the bride and groom have informed their parents about the marriage.
Moreover, the bride and groom will have to provide the names, addresses, Aadhaar and contact details of their parents in the application.
The parents of the bride and groom will be informed within ten working days as soon as the Assistant Registrar is satisfied, according to the proposed rules.
The Assistant Registrar will forward the application to the Registrar of the district or taluka concerned. The marriage will be registered 30 days after the Registrar is satisfied that the requirements specified in sub-rules have been met.
The Registrar will upload all these details to an online portal to be created by the government, say the proposed rules.
AAP MLA Hemant Ahir, who had on Thursday introduced a private member's Bill in this regard, and BJP MLA Lavingji Thakor congratulated the deputy CM in the House, saying the proposed changes were the need of the hour.
They said innocent girls were being lured by anti-social elements who exploited loopholes in the existing system to solemnise and register marriages.
