New Delhi, Aug 18 : The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday described the situation in Kerala as alarming and said the government is taking all measures to help the flood-affected people in the state.

The party also said that it is with the people of Kerala in this hour of crisis and devastation.

"Situation in Kerala is very alarming and the reports coming from the state has made the whole nation sad," BJP leader P. Muralidhar Rao said while addressing a press conference here.

He said that while the Central government had earlier given a package of Rs 100 crore to the state, "today (Saturday) Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a package of Rs 500 crore for the state".

The BJP leader said the armed forces, in tandem with the local police and other bodies involved in the rescue and relief work, have undertaken the operation on a war-footing.

Overflowing rivers and a series of landslides have caused the death of 357 persons this monsoon, with 22 deaths being reported on Saturday alone, and over three lakh people have been forced to move to some 2,000 relief camps.

"The Prime Minister has also appealed to the insurance companies in case of agriculture or crop loans or others to expedite so as to help the people in the state," he said.

Rao said the government has directed the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to take measures to repair the national highways in the state so that the connectivity is restored.

"BJP is with the people of Kerala in this hour of crisis and devastation," he said.

The BJP leader further said that the party workers across the country have started collecting relief materials for the flood-hit people of Kerala.

"More than 5,000 initiatives by different organisations has been taken up in Kerala, and the BJP has taken over 200 initiatives for the state."

"These initiatives will be further increased as the flood water starts receding," Rao added.



Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Guwahati(PTI): Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Friday said he felt "ashamed" that an MP from his state had asserted in Parliament during the Waqf Bill debate that Muslims were not allowed to offer Eid prayers on streets, and issued an apology.

''The people of Assam also do not want to offer 'namaz' on streets when there are beautiful and good mosques in the state'', the CM said at a press conference after a cabinet meeting.

Sarma was apparently referring to Congress MP Gaurav Gogoi, though he did not name him directly.

Gogoi, during the debate, had criticised the government for allegedly preventing Muslims from offering Eid prayers on streets, questioning the BJP’s commitment to minority rights

''People from across the country are calling me about it. We are ashamed and I as the CM apologise to people across the country'', Sarma said.

There has been no demand from Muslims that they want to offer prayers on roads, he added.

He further alleged that the MP’s remarks created the impression that only one community contributed to India’s freedom struggle.

''This MP went to the extreme of highlighting only one community’s role. There was no mention of Mahatma Gandhi, Gopinath Bordoloi, Subhas Chandra Bose, or other key figures," Sarma said.

Replying to a question on the BJP's prospects in the forthcoming panchayat polls scheduled to be held in two phases on May 2 and 7, Sarma said, ''It will be good in all the elections- panchayat, Rabha Hasong Council, Bodoland Territorial Council and assembly polls as the people of Assam have immense faith and confidence in Prime Minister Narendra Modi."

"It is only the extreme statements made by a particular MP from Assam in Parliament which has made us sad and we are feeling ashamed about it'', he added.

People of Assam will ''teach a lesson to such people when the time comes'', the CM said.