Kozhikode (Kerala) (PTI): Tourism Minister P A Mohammed Riyas on Monday said that 2025 witnessed the highest number of tourist arrivals in Kerala’s history.
Speaking to reporters, he said that 2,58,80,365 tourists from outside the state visited Kerala last year, the highest since the state's formation.
He said that compared to 2024, an additional 28,95,002 tourists visited Kerala in 2025.
The number of domestic tourist arrivals increased by 12.64 per cent, and this was 36.03 per cent higher compared to the pre-Covid period, he said.
Riyas said Idukki district topped the state in domestic tourist arrivals, recording 46,79,800 visitors, followed by Ernakulam with 44,29,899, Thiruvananthapuram with 43,75,846, and Thrissur with 31,24,696.
Major contributing states include Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Telangana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, he said.
He said that earlier, tourist arrivals in North Kerala, from Thrissur to Kasaragod district, accounted for just six per cent of the state’s total, but this share has risen significantly in recent years.
The minister said that in 2025, Kerala received 8,21,999 foreign tourists, registering an 11.3 per cent increase over the previous year.
He noted that ongoing war-like situations in various parts of the world have affected international travel.
The highest number of foreign tourists came from the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, France, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Oman and the Maldives.
Ernakulam topped the list in foreign tourist arrivals, followed by Thiruvananthapuram, Idukki, Alappuzha and Kottayam, Riyas said.
He said the achievement would give a major boost to the state's tourism sector.
Riyas said that when the LDF government retained power in 2021, the state was severely impacted by Covid-19, and the tourism sector was on a ventilator, with the perception that some tourism centres would be closed forever.
To overcome the crisis, the government held discussions with all stakeholders in the tourism sector, he said.
"We then prepared a plan to overcome the crisis in each phase. We had a clear perception of how the tourism sector should move ahead when the Covid-19 situation eased, which has now helped us improve tourist arrivals," he said.
He said various strategies, including adopting technology, were used to boost tourism.
Riyas said PWD rest houses are being developed so that tourists can visit the state and stay in more affordable places.
He added that with the completion of National Highway-66 works, connectivity issues in the state would be resolved and more tourists would visit far-flung districts as well.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Koppal (Karnataka) (PTI): A court in Karnataka on Monday sentenced three people to death for sexually assaulting an Israeli tourist and murdering a youth in this district last year.
The Gangavathi Civil Court delivered the judgment, sentencing the convicts -- Mallesh alias Handi Malla, Sharanabasava and Chaitanya Sai -- to death.
The court had on February 7 found them guilty and reserved the order for February 16.
ALSO READ: VHP slams Karnataka minister Priyank Kharge for 'money laundering' comment on RSS
On Monday, the court pronounced the quantum of punishment.
According to the prosecution, the heinous crime took place near Sanapur on March 6, 2025.
The Israeli-origin woman was subjected to inhuman sexual assault. The incident had made international headlines and cast a shadow over the district’s tourism.
Public Prosecutor Nagalakshmi told reporters that the homestay owner had taken tourists Pankaj from Maharashtra, and Bibhas from Odisha, Daniel from the US and an Israeli woman for stargazing at Sanapur near Tungabhadra canal under Gangavathi rural police station limits at about 10.30 pm.
Just then the three accused reached there on a motorcycle and picked up a fight over a financial dispute, she added.
With an intention to rape these women, the convicts pushed the three men into the canal. To ensure that they do not come out, they threw stones on them. Later, they gang raped the home-stay owner and the Israeli national, the Public Prosecutor said.
“Bibhas Kumar died due to drowning in the canal. Pankaj did not know how to swim but Daniel saved him,” Nagalakshmi said.
She added that after raping the women, the accused decamped with their mobile phones, cash and a camera.
“It was a case of gang rape, murder, attempt to murder, robbery and extortion. Hence the Judge Sadananda Nagappa Naik under section 103 of the Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita gave them capital punishment. For the gang rape, the court ordered imprisonment till their last breath,” Nagalakshmi said.
She added that the accused can go for appeal.
