Pune: A multinational company in Yerawada is facing strong criticism after dismissing an employee who was undergoing cancer treatment. The employee, Santosh Patole, worked as a Facility Manager for eight years and has more than two decades of professional experience.

Patole said he was removed from service while he was still in treatment. He was diagnosed with thyroid nodule isthmus cancer in April during the firm’s annual health check-up. After receiving the diagnosis, he took medical leave in May and June for surgery and further treatment. During this period, the company paid for his medical expenses.

Doctors cleared him to resume work on July 1. However, before he could return, he received a termination letter on July 23. Along with the loss of his job, he also lost the medical support that had been funding his cancer care. Patole claimed the company accused him of making a decision that could have caused a loss of ₹2.5 to ₹3 crore, though he said the project mentioned was never even implemented. He alleged that the company refused to hear his explanation and dismissed him without considering his medical condition.

ALSO READ: 50% fine rebate on traffic fines ends tomorrow; Here’s how to pay your pending challan

Following the termination, Patole began a hunger strike outside the company’s Pune office. A widely shared photograph shows him sitting inside a small tent with protest banners, including one reading: “#WhySLBWhy? Cancer Patient Fired By US MNC Begins Hunger Strike. Employees Are Humans, Not Numbers.”

The incident has sparked widespread discussion on social media, with several users criticising the company’s handling of the situation and raising concerns about job security for employees dealing with serious health issues. One user wrote, “Everyone is just a number in someone else’s company,” while another suggested Patole approach the IT labour cell in Pune for support. Others shared similar experiences, pointing to broader concerns regarding corporate responsibility and support for employees facing life-threatening illnesses.

The protest and online backlash have brought renewed attention to the treatment of workers undergoing major medical crises and the policies companies follow in such situations.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): India and Brazil on Saturday set a bilateral trade target of more than USD 20 billion in the next five years, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held wide-ranging talks with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, focussing in the areas of critical minerals and security.

Modi said the relations between India and Brazil have long benefitted from President Lula's visionary outlook and inspiring leadership.

He also noted that Brazil is India's largest trade partner in Latin America.

"We are committed to taking the India-Brazil trade beyond USD 20 billion in the next five years," the prime minister said in his media statement after the talks.

He asserted that when India and Brazil work together, the voice of the Global South becomes stronger.

Modi also said both countries agree that terrorism and its supporters are enemies of the entire humanity.