Chandigarh (PTI): The sale of meat, tobacco, alcohol, other intoxicants are now prohibited in Amritsar Walled City, Talwandi Sabo and Sri Anandpur Sahib after a notification was issued by the Punjab government, according them 'holy city' status.
Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann, in a video message on Sunday, said the decision to grant holy city status to the three places revered among Sikhs has now come into effect after a Punjab government notification.
Last month a resolution was passed unanimously during a special session of the Punjab Assembly held in Sri Anandpur Sahib, which was convened to mark the 350th martyrdom anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur.
ALSO READ: Indian visa application centre suspended indefinitely in Bangladesh's Chattogram
Later on December 15, a notification was issued by the state government granting 'holy city' status to Sri Anandpur Sahib in Rupnagar district, Talwandi Sabo in Bathinda and the 'Galiara' area around the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
In his video message, Mann said there are five 'takhts' of Sikhs, out of which three -- Sri Akal Takht Sahib (Amritsar), Sri Damdama Sahib (Talwandi Sabo, Bathinda) and Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib (Sri Anandpur Sahib) are in Punjab.
"The Punjab government will make all necessary arrangements and provide facilities, including e-rickshaws, mini-buses, shuttle buses and other public transport services, to ensure that devotees arriving from across the world do not face any inconvenience," he said.
The chief minister said strict regulations will now apply in the holy cities. "Sale of meat, alcohol, tobacco, and any intoxicating substances will be completely prohibited," he said.
He assured that the cities will have appropriate development. "These cities are not only religious centres but also a very important symbol of our cultural heritage."
"I extend my heartfelt congratulations to the entire Sikh Sangat," Mann said.
"With the issuance of the notification, the decision has now come into effect, and the cities have officially attained the status of holy cities," he added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
