Hyderabad/Sydney: Mohammed Rahmat Pasha, a 37-year-old man from Hyderabad, emerged as an unlikely first responder during the recent shooting at Bondi Beach in Australia, helping injured victims even as the attacker continued firing.
Pasha, who hails from Vikarabad district in Telangana and previously lived in Masab Tank, Hyderabad, was walking along the beachfront a little after 7 pm when he heard sounds he initially mistook for firecrackers. Moments later, panic erupted as people began screaming and collapsing to the ground, making it clear that a shooting was underway.
ALSO READ: Messi event chaos: Court extends police custody of chief organiser till Jan 9
Recalling the incident in an interview to Vartha Bharati, Pasha said he saw the gunman advancing and firing. Despite fearing for his own life, he stopped to help an elderly woman who had been shot in the legs and was crying out for assistance. He sat beside her, comforted her, held her hand and reassured her until emergency services arrived.
“The shooter was not very far from me and I could see him clearly,” Pasha said. “I was scared, but I could not walk away when I saw someone badly injured and asking for help.”
Pasha assisted police and healthcare workers by helping move injured people onto stretchers and into ambulances. He said the scenes were chaotic and deeply disturbing, with people running in all directions to escape the gunfire. One of the victims, he recalled, succumbed to injuries while being assisted.
The father of three, who moved to Australia in 2019 to train as a chef, said the psychological impact of the incident has been severe. He has not returned to work since the attack and is struggling with sleep, managing only a few hours each night.

Screengrab from a video from during the attack wherein Pasha can be seen helping authorities
Speaking about the communal abuse and anti-immigrant rhetoric that surfaced online after the incident, Pasha rejected attempts to link the attack to religion. He said his faith teaches that saving one innocent life is equal to saving all of humanity and stressed that terrorism has no religion.
Pasha said he has received support and messages of solidarity from people around him in Australia, while his family in Hyderabad hopes he will return home soon.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
