Srinagar, April 24 :Three persons, including two security personnel and a militant, were killed on Tuesday in an ongoing gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir's Tral forest area.

Police sources said the security personnel killed included an Indian Army soldier and a state policeman.

A joint operation was started by the Rashtriya Rifles (RR), state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in Lam forest area of Tral following information about the presence of militants there.

Sepoy Ajay Kumar of 42 RR, who was injured in the initial firing exchange, succumbed to his injuries at Army's 92 Base Hospital in Badami Bagh Cantonment area here.

Latif Gujar of Jammu and Kashmir Police also succumbed to injuries, while the only militant killed in the gun battle has not been identified so far.

Reports said two-to-three militants were engaged in the gunfight with the security forces in the densely forested area.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Thodupuzha (Kerala) (PTI): A 27-year-old man died after allegedly falling into an open roadside pit near Thodupuzha in Idukki district, police said on Tuesday. 

The deceased was identified as Jeys Benny, a native of Muthalakkodam. 

The accident occurred late Monday night when his two-wheeler plunged into the large pit dug on the side of the road as part of the construction work, they said. 

Though he was rushed to a nearby hospital, his life could not be saved. 

As the issue triggered heated protest, state Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Mohammed Riyas ordered a probe into the tragic incident. 

He said the deputy chief engineer of the PWD has been entrusted with a probe into the incident and will take further action after receiving his report. 

"Stringent measures will be taken if the negligence happened from the side of the Public Works Department," Riyas said. 

In the CCTV visuals aired by TV channels, the bike could be seen plunging into the open pit. 

According to local residents, the pit has been left open for over a month without adequate safety measures such as barricades or warning signs. 

Following the incident, local residents staged a protest at the accident spot, alleging negligence on the part of the PWD. 

Workers of the Opposition UDF also protested at the local PWD office demanding action against those responsible.