Mumbai (PTI): The Mumbai police have deployed more than 17,000 personnel as part of elaborate security arrangements to maintain law and order during the New Year celebrations, an official said on Tuesday.

Large gatherings are expected at prominent places in the city, including the Gateway of India, Marine Drive, Girgaon Chowpatty, Bandra Bandstand, Juhu and Versova beaches starting Wednesday evening. The celebrations at various hotels, restaurants and malls are likely to continue till the wee hours of Thursday.

In view of the celebrations, the police have made arrangements for a strict vigil to avoid any untoward incident in the city, the official said.

Nakabandi (police checkposts) will be set up at key locations, important roads, and patrolling on streets will be intensified, he said.

"The Mumbai police, along with the traffic wing, have deployed a massive security force comprising 10 Additional Commissioners of Police, 38 Deputy Commissioners of Police, 61 Assistant Commissioners of Police, 2,790 police officers and 14,200 police personnel," the official said.

In addition, the State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) platoons, Quick Response Team (QRT) teams, Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad (BDDS) teams, Home Guards and other forces have been deployed at sensitive and important locations, according to him.

The police will take strict action against those involved in eve-teasing, sale of illicit liquor and drugs, among other things, he said.

The police appealed to people to ring in the New Year and enjoy the celebrations in a peaceful manner by following all the rules.

Citizens are advised to contact the police helpline numbers 100 or 112 for immediate assistance, the official added.

In adjoining Thane, police have launched an enforcement campaign to ensure safety of revellers during New Year celebrations. Authorities have deployed a heavy force to monitor traffic violations and drunk driving.

Under the directives of Thane Police Commissioner Ashutosh Dumbare and Joint Commissioner Dnyaneshwar Chavan, the Traffic Branch has deployed 739 personnel, including 59 officers, across the city.

Road blockades have been established at 54 strategic locations across the city to regulate traffic.

Specific "hotspots" identified for intensive monitoring include Yeur, Upvan, Durgadi, Katai Naka, Mumbra, and Ranjanoli Naka. Police will use 51 breath analyzer machines to test motorists and have warned that strict action will be taken against those creating noise or behaving inappropriately.

Establishments such as bars, hotels, and farmhouses have been issued specific instructions to prevent patrons from driving under the influence of liquor.

Pankaj Shirsath, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic Branch), emphasized the need for collective responsibility.

"The Thane traffic department is making sincere efforts to ensure that New Year celebrations are conducted smoothly. Therefore, it is very important to follow traffic rules as driving under the influence of alcohol, stunts or speeding can cause accidents," he cautioned.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bagalkote (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension prevailed briefly during a Shivaji Jayanti procession here after stones were allegedly hurled at the rally, officials said on Friday.

The incident occurred on Thursday in the old city when the procession, which began around 3:30 pm, was passing through the mosque area, they said.

Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal said adequate forces were deployed for the procession.

ALSO READ:  Netherlands PM Dick Schoof visits Bengaluru

"We were all present at the spot. The procession began around 3:30 PM (yesterday), As it approached the mosque, two stones were thrown from a distance toward us,” he said.

According to the SP, based on preliminary information and videos reviewed by the police so far, one stone struck a police constable while the other fell on his shoulder.

“No one sustained any major injuries. After that, the procession continued smoothly, and the atmosphere remained peaceful,” Goyal said.

Police said adequate security arrangements have been made in view of the procession and the situation remained under control.

"The area where the incident occurred has been covered with CCTV cameras. We had also recorded the procession. We are reviewing the video footages. Strict action will be taken against those involved in this," he added.

Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita have been imposed in parts of Bagalkote from midnight of February 19 to midnight of February 24.

According to officials, under the restrictions, assembly of more than four people in public places has been prohibited. Carrying dangerous weapons, engaging in activities that may endanger public safety, and organising meetings, ceremonies or sit-ins without prior permission have also been barred.

Measures were taken to maintain law and order in the affected areas.