Mumbai (PTI): The Mumbai water metro project, which envisages introducing battery-powered ferries to ease traffic congestion in the metropolis and its adjoining areas, is expected to roll out from December in phases, Maharashtra Ports Minister Nitesh Rane said on Monday.

Talking to PTI here, Rane said a Detailed Project Report (DPR) on water metro in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) is expected to be submitted by his department by February 28.

The state government has chalked out six to eight routes in the MMR to be connected through a network of electric-powered boats under the water taxi project which is estimated to cost Rs 1,200 crore, according to the minister.

He said after the DPR is submitted, discussions would be held with Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on feasibility of routes and two of the finalized routes would be taken up first for implementation.

"We have decided to start with Mumbai city and then move to the wider MMR (which includes areas of adjoining districts)," Rane informed.

Water metro services within Mumbai city will focus around Nariman Point-Worli-Bandra-Juhu-Versova routes, said the minister, adding "We plan to take up two routes in the first phase."

"Once the Radio Club jetty near the Gateway of India in south Mumbai is ready, water metro will take just 40 minutes to ferry people to the Navi Mumbai International Airport," he noted.

Rane said formal announcement regarding the project, modelled on the Kochi water metro in Kerala, will be made by Fadnavis in the state budget to be presented on March 6.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Budaun (PTI): A six-year-old girl died after allegedly swallowing a bead of her bracelet at a private school in Uttar Pradesh's Budaun on Monday, police said.

The incident occurred at New Hopes Public School in Kakrala town, where Class I student Taapsi, reportedly swallowed a bead of a bracelet she was wearing in the classroom at around 11.30 am, officials said.

According to the school administration, the child experienced breathing difficulty following the incident. Her family members were informed and she was taken to a local community health centre.

She was later taken to the district headquarters and admitted to the district hospital, where doctors declared her dead.

The girl’s father Tekchandra demanded action against the school administration, claiming the family was informed after his daughter died.

School principal Bhooraj Singh said the student had arrived at school in normal condition. A classmate informed the teacher that the child had chewed and swallowed a bead of her bracelet, following which the school immediately alerted the family and arranged for medical assistance.

He added that CCTV footage from the classroom has been handed over to police and the school is cooperating with the investigation.

Alapur Station House Officer Madhav Singh Bisht said the school informed police about the incident. After receiving an information from the district hospital, police began inquest proceedings and preparations for a post-mortem examination.

He added that senior officials have been informed and a panel will conduct the autopsy.

According to the police, the CCTV footage has been collected from the school.

No formal complaint has been received from the family so far, and further legal action will be taken after due inquiry, the SHO said.