Indore: At least nine people have died and more than 150 others have been hospitalised after consuming contaminated drinking water in Indore’s Bhagirathpura area of Madhya Pradesh, with an official inquiry detecting the presence of bacteria commonly found in sewer water, officials said on Thursday.

Initial findings from water samples collected in the locality revealed “abnormal bacteria generally found in sewer water,” indicating possible contamination from human waste. Officials said further laboratory tests are underway to identify the exact pathogens responsible for the outbreak.

ALSO READ:  Congress and NCP (SP) to contest separately in Nagpur civic polls

The contamination is suspected to have occurred due to a leakage from a sewage line into a drinking water pipeline, as reported by Hindustan Times. “The initial report has confirmed the presence of bacteria usually found in sewer water. However, the culture report is awaited to identify the bacteria. Stool test reports of affected patients are also pending, which will provide further clarity,” said Dr Arvind Ghanghoria, Dean of Mahatma Gandhi Medical College, Indore.

Residents claimed that they had been complaining about foul-smelling water for several days before the outbreak intensified. According to the local administration, complaints about the water supply began around December 25, though residents said the problem had persisted for weeks.

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a notice to the Madhya Pradesh government, seeking a detailed report within two weeks. The NHRC noted that residents had reportedly raised concerns about contaminated water supply before the deaths occurred.

The Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court has also sought a report from the state government. The court directed it to place full details of the incident on record.
Chief Minister Mohan Yadav visited affected patients undergoing treatment and announced an ex-gratia assistance of ₹2 lakh each for the families of the deceased. He assured free medical treatment for all those affected.

So far, around 2,456 people have reported symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea. Of these, 162 have been admitted to hospitals.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."