New Delhi (PTI): Minority Affairs Minister Kiren Rijiju on Friday ruled out extending the deadline for registering Waqf properties on the UMEED portal but said his ministry, recognising the concerns of 'mutawallis' or caretakers, will not impose any penalty or take strict action for the next three months as a humanitarian and facilitative measure.

He also said that 1.51 lakh properties had been registered by Friday morning.

The minister stressed that those 'mutawallis (Waqf property caretakers) who have not registered on the portal at all can approach their respective Waqf tribunals.

The Centre launched The Unified Waqf Management, Empowerment, Efficiency, and Development (UMEED) Act central portal on June 6 to create a digital inventory.

According to the provisions of the portal, details of all registered Waqf properties across the country must be uploaded within six months. The six-month deadline for registration ends at 11:59:59 pm on December 6, 2025.

The six-month deadline mandated under the Waqf Amendment Act cannot be extended due to the provisions of the act, and clear directions of the Supreme Court, the minister said.

However, recognising the concerns of 'mutawallis', the minister assured that the ministry will not impose any penalties or take strict action for the next three months as a "humanitarian and facilitative measure".

The ministry also issued a clarification and said Rijiju has never stated that the deadline for Waqf property upload on the UMEED Portal has been extended.

"Mutawallis who are unable to complete registration process by 11:59:59 pm on 6th December, 2025 can approach the Waqf Tribunal, which has the legal authority to grant an extension. The minister has repeatedly emphasised that any change in the legally mandated timeline is not possible, as it is bound by the law passed by Parliament and upheld by the Supreme Court. The minister's statement is therefore fully consistent with the law," the ministry said.

Earlier, Rijiju said, "After making the Waqf law, we had launched the UMEED portal and a six-month duration was given to the concerned parties to register all the Waqf properties on the portal."

"Many MPs and social leaders came to me requesting that problems are being faced in registering more than 9 lakh Waqf properties and it is the last day today, so the deadline should be extended. Till now, more than 1.51 lakh Waqf properties have been registered on the UMEED portal," he said.

Some states have done well like Karnataka and Punjab and also Jammu and Kashmir but some others have lagged behind.

Rijiju said in some places, the UMEED portal was slow while some people did not have the papers.

"I assure all 'mutawallis' who tried but could not complete the registration process... for the next three months, we will not impose any penalties or take any strict action," he said.

Those who have not been able to come on the portal must approach their respective tribunals.

The Supreme Court was clear on its instructions that the date cannot be extended, he said.

The government, through the Ministry of Minority Affairs, has said it is committed to modernizing Waqf administration and unlocking the full developmental potential of Waqf properties for the benefit of minority communities.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.