Prayagraj (UP)(PTI): Amid a row over authorities "stopping" Swami Avimukteshwaranand Saraswati from taking a holy dip in the Ganga here, the Mela administration has issued a notice asking him to explain how he was using the title of Shankaracharya of the Jyotish Peeth.

Trouble broke out on Sunday when Saraswati along with his supporters was on his way to take dip in the Sangam on the occasion of Mauni Amavasya and the police allegedly stopped him.

Following the incident, Saraswati sat in protest outside his camp, giving up food and water, and demanded an apology from senior officials of the mela administration and the police. The protest is still going on.

The notice issued on Monday by the Vice Chairman of the Prayagraj Mela Authority Dayanand Prasad also refers to a civil appeal pending before the Supreme Court, in which the court had ordered that until the appeal is disposed of, no religious leader can be consecrated as the Shankaracharya of Jyotish Peeth.

The notice states that it is clear from the current situation that no religious leader has been consecrated as the Shankaracharya of Jyotish Peeth, yet Saraswati has declared himself as the Shankaracharya of Jyotish Peeth on a board at his camp in the Prayagraj Magh Mela of 2025-26.

"This act/display of yours shows disregard for the order of the Honourable Supreme Court. Within 24 hours of receiving this letter, please clarify how you are using the word Shankaracharya before your name," the notice said.

Reacting to the notice, Saraswati's media in-charge, Shailendra Yogiraj claimed that Maharaj Ji had already been consecrated as the Shankaracharya of the Jyotish Peeth before the Supreme Court order.

Yogiraj claimed that on the Mauni Amavasya bathing festival, Saraswati was peacefully going to take a bath at the Sangam on his palanquin with his followers when the police asked him to get down from the palanquin and go to the bathing ghat.

He claimed that when he refused to get down from the palanquin, the police beat up his supporters, injuring about 15 of them.

All the injured have undergone medical examinations, and Swami Ji will file a case against the police and administration officials, Yogiraj said.

Yogiraj also said that Swami Ji would not enter his camp until the Mela administration apologises and arrange for him to bathe according to protocol.

Mela Adhikari Rishiraj claimed that Saraswati and his followers broke through the barricades and came to the Sangam Nose, and the administration took this step to prevent a stampede.

"By breaking the barricades, they reached the Sangam Nose on Sunday. To prevent any stampede-like situation on the main bathing day, the administration intervened. We have evidence, and vehicles were not permitted under any circumstances on the main bathing festival," he had said.

"Several sadhus and seers, including those camping near Swami Ji, took the holy dip. No saint was disrespected. The arrangements made for devotees and Kalpvasis were strictly implemented because their safety is our top priority," he had stated.

The Congress on Monday launched a scathing attack on the BJP over the alleged "mistreatment" meted out to Saraswati, and demanded that Prime Minister Narendra Modi must intervene against this "shameful incident.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.

The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.

"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.

"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.

Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.

As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.

Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.

Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.

He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.

Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".