Kolkata, Dec 30 (PTI): An elderly man allegedly jumped on railway tracks in front of a running train and was crushed to death, hours before he was supposed to appear for a hearing for the ongoing Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls in Purulia district of West Bengal, police said on Tuesday.
The deceased, 82-year-old Durjan Majhi, was anxious since getting the notice for the SIR hearing, as his name was not on the draft voters' list, his son Kanai said.
Police said that Majhi was killed by a running train on Monday. He had been asked to appear for the hearing at the Para Block Development Officer's (BDO) office.
Kanai, who works as a day labourer, said, "My father had submitted the SIR enumeration form, but his name was not on the draft voters' list. His name was on the 2002 voters' list."
He said he could not figure out why his father was called to the hearing. He had been anxious since getting the hearing notice on December 25," he claimed.
Incidentally, the Election Commission on Monday issued an order stating that electors aged 85 years and above, as well as those who are sick or persons with disabilities, may not be called for personal hearings if a specific request is made by them or on their behalf.
(Assistance for overcoming suicidal thoughts is available on the state’s health helpline 104, Tele-MANAS 14416.)
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bagalkote (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension prevailed briefly during a Shivaji Jayanti procession here after stones were allegedly hurled at the rally, officials said on Friday.
The incident occurred on Thursday in the old city when the procession, which began around 3:30 pm, was passing through the mosque area, they said.
Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal said adequate forces were deployed for the procession.
ALSO READ: Netherlands PM Dick Schoof visits Bengaluru
"We were all present at the spot. The procession began around 3:30 PM (yesterday), As it approached the mosque, two stones were thrown from a distance toward us,” he said.
According to the SP, based on preliminary information and videos reviewed by the police so far, one stone struck a police constable while the other fell on his shoulder.
“No one sustained any major injuries. After that, the procession continued smoothly, and the atmosphere remained peaceful,” Goyal said.
Police said adequate security arrangements have been made in view of the procession and the situation remained under control.
"The area where the incident occurred has been covered with CCTV cameras. We had also recorded the procession. We are reviewing the video footages. Strict action will be taken against those involved in this," he added.
Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita have been imposed in parts of Bagalkote from midnight of February 19 to midnight of February 24.
According to officials, under the restrictions, assembly of more than four people in public places has been prohibited. Carrying dangerous weapons, engaging in activities that may endanger public safety, and organising meetings, ceremonies or sit-ins without prior permission have also been barred.
Measures were taken to maintain law and order in the affected areas.
