Bhubaneshwar: A day after Christmas, on December 26, two tribal women were allegedly tied to a tree and beaten by a mob in the Remuna area of Odisha's Balasore district. The women, accused of attempting to convert a Hindu man to Christianity, were subjected to humiliation and violence, as captured in a viral video that brought the incident to light, reported The Wire.
The victims, identified as Subhasini Singh and Sukanti Singh, were reportedly targeted after visiting Chhankhanpur hamlet in Mukhura village. Subhasini, a Christian from Makhpada village in Nilgiri, allegedly came to meet Gobind Singh, a Hindu tribal man, with the intention of persuading him to convert to Christianity. Sukanti, a local resident and Hindu, was accused of facilitating the visit.
In the video, the women are seen tied to a tree, surrounded by a hostile crowd. One man's remarks accusing them of "destroying Hindu religion and culture" and chants of "Bharat Mata ki Jai" and "Jai Shri Ram" underscore the mob's fury. Subhasini's face was smeared with a cake, which locals claimed had been brought to celebrate a religious conversion.
Subas Mallick, Inspector-in-Charge of Remuna police station, confirmed the incident and said the mob had also humiliated Gobind Singh for his alleged intent to convert. Four individuals, Bapin Nayak, Pitambar Biswal, Prashant Nayak, and Badal Panda—were detained in connection with the assault. Cases have been registered under sections of the Bharatiya Nyay Sanhita (BNS) addressing assault and prevention of atrocities against scheduled tribes, as well as under the Odisha Freedom of Religion Act, 1967, which prohibits forced or induced religious conversions.
However, police later released the detainees after they reportedly expressed regret and reached an "understanding" with the victims. Gobind Singh also allegedly apologized for his intent to change his faith. Despite this, two separate cases remain under investigation.
Reactions to the incident have highlighted concerns about rising vigilantism and threats to vulnerable communities. Odisha Congress spokesperson Amiya Pandab condemned the attack as a shameful reflection of the state’s law and order situation, particularly against tribal women. Former Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MLA Latika Pradhan criticized what she called "vigilante justice," emphasizing that any alleged illegal conversions should be dealt with by law rather than mob action.
The incident has also reignited discussions about communal tensions in Odisha. Balasore, represented in the Lok Sabha by former Union Minister Pratap Sarangi, borders Mayurbhanj, the home district of President Draupadi Murmu, and Keonjhar, Chief Minister Mohan Majhi’s constituency. Both leaders are from tribal communities, underscoring the gravity of such incidents targeting vulnerable groups.
This case comes against the backdrop of Odisha’s history of communal violence, including the 2008 Kandhamal riots, which led to over 30 deaths and widespread displacement of Christians. Then-Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, now leader of the opposition, severed ties with the BJP in 2009, citing concerns over communal discord.
As authorities probe the latest incident, it raises critical questions about the balance between protecting religious freedom and preventing vigilantism.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pune (PTI): Maharashtra Minister Prakash Abitkar on Friday said a senior official of the health department will conduct an inquiry into the incident in which a hospital in Pune allegedly refused to admit a pregnant woman due to the non-payment of an advance deposit of Rs 10 lakh.
The alleged incident took place at Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital, and the woman, Tanisha Bhise, wife of BJP MLC Amit Gorkhe's personal assistant, died after giving birth to twin girls at another hospital.
Talking to PTI, Abitkar said, "We have asked the deputy director of the health department to inquire into what exactly happened at the hospital. After we receive his report, we will take necessary action if the hospital is found to be in the wrong."
Workers of opposition parties, including the Shiv Sena (UBT) Congress and the NCP (SP), staged protests outside the Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital and even threw coins at one of the hospital staffers.
Police have been deployed in large numbers outside the facility to prevent untoward incidents.
MLC Gorkhe had on Thursday claimed that despite an assurance to pay Rs 3 lakh immediately, the hospital denied admission to the patient, and even a call from the Mantralaya did not yield any response from them.
The hospital, however, refuted the allegations and blamed the woman's kin for giving "misleading information".
The hospital's medical director, Dr Dhananjay Kelkar, had said they would prepare a detailed report about the incident and submit it to the health department.