Mumbai (PTI): Senior Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Bhaskar Jadhav said the Opposition would boycott the customary tea party hosted by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Sunday on the eve of the Maharashtra legislature's Budget Session.

Fadnavis had personally written to senior members inviting them to the event, which is a tradition on the eve of a session of the legislature, Jadhav added.

"The ruling party is arrogant and shows little respect towards the Opposition. Since there is no respect, no decency and no regard for the Constitution, we have decided to decline the high tea invitation," Jadhav told reporters.

He also slammed the trade deal between India and the United States, claiming it would adversely affect cotton growers and fisherfolk from the state.

However, the Fadnavis government has expressed no regret over the Union government's decision; therefore, it was decided to boycott the high tea invitation, the Shiv Sena (UBT) leader added.

Jadhav said another reason for the Opposition to decline the invite was due to the Maharashtra government's "ambiguous stand" on the death of Ajit Pawar in a plane accident.

He also slammed the state government over the execution of the Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin scheme, claiming that before the 2024 assembly elections, it had disbursed Rs 1,500 per month to women without any verification and "bought votes", and later declared more than 50 lakh women ineligible on trivial grounds.

And now, many women will not receive the allowance because they have not completed e-KYC, he said.

Congress legislative party leader Vijay Wadettiwar said 22 farmers had died by suicide in Yavatmal, while 76 had ended their lives in the Marathwada region, alleging that the state government had done nothing about it.

He also criticised the state government over the memoranda of understanding signed at the World Economic Forum in Davos, pointing out that many of the companies were located in Maharashtra itself, and some did not have sufficient capital.

The Opposition will demand a white paper on the matter, he said.

He also questioned why, if such large investments were coming to Maharashtra, the government could not increase the monthly stipend of the Ladki Bahin scheme funds from Rs 1,500 to Rs 3,000.

"Since December, Maharashtra had sought Rs 29,000 crore from the Union government but had not yet received it," he said, alleging that Gujarat received favourable treatment over Maharashtra.

The Congress leader claimed that nearly 600 acres of land near Nagpur, classified as reserved forest land, had been given to the Adani Group on lease at Rs 1 lakh per acre and alleged that the government had also permitted a mining project adjacent to the Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve.

"When the Maha Vikas Aghadi was in power, it had opposed the decision and did not grant permission," he said.

He also claimed that 1,57,000 women and girls were missing in Maharashtra.

Satej Patil, leader of the Congress in the legislative council, stated that nearly 70 lakh youths had registered themselves as unemployed in the state.

He also criticised the Rs 1.02 lakh crore Shaktipeeth Mahamarg project, saying it was unnecessary and that nobody had asked for it, yet the state was pushing it.

Patil also alleged that a raid on Minister Narhari Zirwal's office in Mantralaya could not have taken place without the consent of Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.

"If Fadnavis seriously wished to improve the state's image, he should have sought Zirwal's resignation," Patil said, adding that if the Anti-Corruption Bureau in Maharashtra is truly autonomous and under no pressure, Opposition leaders would honour its officials.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Shimla (PTI): An 86-year-old British national was found dead in his room at a hotel in Lower Kaithu area of Shimla city, police said on Saturday.

According to the police, one Suryavanshi reported that a foreign national staying in room number 103 of his hotel was lying unconscious in his room, late on Friday.

A police team led by a deputy superintendent of police rushed to the spot.

The elderly foreigner -- identified as Barry Elvin Moss -- was found lying unconscious on the floor. He was subsequently shifted to IGMC hospital where he was declared dead, police said.

According to police, during preliminary questioning, the hotel staff said after the foreigner did not respond to repeated calls and his room was found locked from the inside, the staff opened the door with a spare key and found him lying on the floor.

A police inspection was conducted at the scene and evidence were collected. The room was then sealed, police added.

The deceased's body has been placed in the mortuary for post-mortem and correspondence has been made with the UK embassy in this regard, officials said.

Further action will be initiated under Section 194 Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita and inquiry for unnatural death -- suicide, homicide or accident -- will be taken up after a response is received from the UK embassy, they added.