New Delhi (PTI) The national capital recorded 9,211 deaths due to respiratory diseases in 2024, up from 8,801 in 2023, continuing an upward trend seen over the past few years, according latest official data released by the Delhi government.
Common types of respiratory diseases include asthma, pneumonia, lung cancer and Tuberclosis, often causing breathing related issues.
Circulatory diseases were found to the top most cause of death in 2024, followed by infectious and parasitic diseases. The overall death rate in the national capital also showed a rise.
The total number of deaths in Delhi rose to 1,39,480 in 2024, compared to 1,32,391 deaths recorded the previous year. Of these, 85,391 were males, 54,051 were females, and 38 were classified under other genders. Of these, 90,883 deaths were medically certified.
The national capital has slightly improved on Infant Mortality Rate (IMR), which was recorded at 22.4 per 1000 live births which was 23.61 in 2023. IMR is a measure of deaths of infants under one year old.
According to the latest data, 21,262 deaths were due to circulatory disease -- common types include choked artery, stroke and heart failure. In 2023, this number was 15,714.
The second most common cause of death in the national capital at 16,060 was infectious and parasitic disease, usually spreading due to bacteria, virus and fungi, often via contaminated food and water. Such type of deaths saw a drop from the previous year recorded at 20,781.
A total of 3,06,459 live births were recorded in the city in 2024, which was 8,628 less than the previous year, the documents added.
The birth rate in 2024 was recorded at 14, down from 14.66 in 2023, while the death rate has increased from 6.16 in 2023 to 6.37 in 2024, the data showed. Birth and death rates are counted per 1,000 persons of a given place.
Delhi's population is projected to rise to 2.65 crore in the next 10 years by 2036. According to data, 99.1 per cent of people under five years of age have a birth certificate.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
