New Delhi: An anti-encroachment drive near the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) headquarters in Jhandewalan led to tense scenes on Saturday after a viral video alleged that an ancient temple had been demolished to create parking space for the organisation.

The video triggered widespread anger online and on the ground, even as the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) maintained that the action was routine and followed due procedure.

The MCD carried out the demolition after issuing vacate notices around 45 days ago, officials said. According to civic authorities, the structures cleared during the operation were encroachments and the occupants “did not comply with the instructions issued earlier.” Police personnel were deployed at the site throughout the drive, and officials stated that most residents had vacated beforehand.

The situation changed dramatically once a video began circulating on social media, claiming that a nearly 1,500-year-old temple located near the RSS building had been razed. The clip alleged that the demolition was intended to clear land for RSS parking and further referred to a “15,000-year-old Gorakhnath temple” said to have continuous Ram Katha recitations. The video showed distressed residents questioning the authorities and expressing concern over the fate of religious structures believed to hold local significance.

Several locals claimed they were not given clear notice and accused officials of sudden displacement. Visuals showed women pleading with personnel in an attempt to halt the machinery. Residents said the demolition had affected long-standing homes and sacred sites, and demanded clarity on relocation and the purpose behind the timing of the drive.

However, civic officials offered a different account. An MCD source told PTI that the structures stood on a “dangerous stretch” and that nearly all occupants had already moved out, with only a few remaining at the site. The source added that the drive was conducted jointly with the Delhi Development Authority and that all procedural notices had been issued as required.

Despite the controversy, the MCD has not publicly commented on the viral allegation surrounding the temple, leaving several questions unanswered and public distrust unresolved.

The incident also drew political reactions. Karnataka minister Priyank Kharge shared the viral clip on X, criticising the RSS and alleging that a temple was demolished for parking. Congress leader Supriya Shrinate also commented on the issue, urging people to take note of the claims made in the viral video.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.