New Delhi: Protests broke out outside the Delhi High Court on Friday after the court granted conditional bail to expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Singh Sengar in the Unnao rape case. Demonstrators gathered near the court premises, raising slogans and demanding that the bail order be withdrawn.

The protest followed the High Court’s decision to suspend Sengar’s life sentence, a move that has drawn strong reactions from the survivor, her family and women’s rights activists. Speaking to Hindustan Times, the survivor said she was distressed by the order and felt unsafe after learning that Sengar had been granted bail.

The survivor’s mother told ANI that the family would approach the Supreme Court to challenge the decision, stating that they had lost faith in the High Court. She said the family was determined to continue its legal fight and expressed anguish over bail being granted to a person convicted of rape and linked to other serious criminal cases.

Police personnel were deployed around the court complex and were seen asking protesters to disperse, warning of legal action if the gathering continued. Visuals shared by news agencies showed security officials urging demonstrators to clear the area.

Women’s rights activist Yogita Bhayana, who participated in the protest, said the decision had caused widespread anger and pain among women. She said protesters had assembled at the court to voice their opposition and demand justice for the survivor.

Several protesters questioned the basis on which bail was granted, noting that Sengar had been convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. They said the decision sent a troubling message about women’s safety and accountability in cases of sexual violence.

Sengar was convicted in December 2019 for the rape of a 17-year-old girl in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district in 2017 and was sentenced to life imprisonment. The Delhi High Court, while suspending his sentence earlier this week, observed that he had already served more than the maximum punishment prescribed under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
The survivor also referred to past incidents, including a 2019 car accident in which two of her relatives and her lawyer were killed, alleging that Sengar had earlier used associates to intimidate and target her family.

Now 24 and living in Delhi, the survivor has been provided court-mandated security following the bail order and is accompanied by Central Reserve Police Force personnel. Her mother said, however, that security cover earlier provided to her and her three children had been withdrawn earlier this year, adding to the family’s sense of insecurity.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will visit India in the next few months, US Ambassador Sergio Gor said on Friday.

The envoy also said that the India-US trade deal is set to be inked soon.

Gor also described the Quad coalition as an important grouping for cooperation among its member states.

The envoy said India and the US are taking their bilateral ties to the next level.

Gor made the remarks on the sidelines of an event at the AI Impact Summit here.