New Delhi (PTI): She left her home at the age of 14 after a family dispute and ended up living on the street, picking rags to survive before being sold into marriage with a man from Rajasthan. But her ordeal came to light when she landed at a Delhi hospital, where she died after a 40-day battle for life.
The Delhi Police had recorded the girl's statement when she was undergoing treatment at the GTB Hospital has now registered an FIR in the matter, police sources said.
"Initially, we got to know that the girl, a resident of Dayalpur area had left her house after dispute with her family members last year. Her family members had never lodged a missing person report or approached the police," a police officer said, adding that she began living on the streets and picked rags to survive.
On October 24, a passerby noticed the girl lying in a critical condition in Haryana's Panipat and alerted the police. She was first taken to a local police station in Panipat and later shifted to Delhi, where she was admitted to GTB Hospital for treatment.
"She was extremely malnourished and suffering from multiple health complications when she was brought to the hospital," the officer said.
The source said after receiving information from the hospital, a team from the police station reached and recorded the statement of the girl.
She had levelled allegation that she was sold and forcibly married to a man in Rajasthan and she somehow managed to escape from there and eventually ended up in Haryana, the police source said.
"Despite sustained medical care, she could not recover and died on December 12," the source said.
"We have registered an FIR and have launched further investigation into the matter. The role of the parents and guardians is also under scrutiny. We are verifying claims made by relatives and examining whether there was any cruelty or abandonment that contributed to the condition," the source added.
Medical records and post-mortem findings have been sought to establish the exact cause of death, which is believed to be linked to prolonged illness and extreme weakness.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bagalkote (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension prevailed briefly during a Shivaji Jayanti procession here after stones were allegedly hurled at the rally, officials said on Friday.
The incident occurred on Thursday in the old city when the procession, which began around 3:30 pm, was passing through the mosque area, they said.
Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal said adequate forces were deployed for the procession.
ALSO READ: Netherlands PM Dick Schoof visits Bengaluru
"We were all present at the spot. The procession began around 3:30 PM (yesterday), As it approached the mosque, two stones were thrown from a distance toward us,” he said.
According to the SP, based on preliminary information and videos reviewed by the police so far, one stone struck a police constable while the other fell on his shoulder.
“No one sustained any major injuries. After that, the procession continued smoothly, and the atmosphere remained peaceful,” Goyal said.
Police said adequate security arrangements have been made in view of the procession and the situation remained under control.
"The area where the incident occurred has been covered with CCTV cameras. We had also recorded the procession. We are reviewing the video footages. Strict action will be taken against those involved in this," he added.
Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita have been imposed in parts of Bagalkote from midnight of February 19 to midnight of February 24.
According to officials, under the restrictions, assembly of more than four people in public places has been prohibited. Carrying dangerous weapons, engaging in activities that may endanger public safety, and organising meetings, ceremonies or sit-ins without prior permission have also been barred.
Measures were taken to maintain law and order in the affected areas.
